Getting In Shape

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Zurkhardo, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. I've been doing exercises and gym activities sporadically for the past year. I've seen some results, both physically and in terms of energy, but obviously it's not as much as it should be, given the lack of regularity.

Over the holiday, and for the rest of the year, I hope to establish a more vigorous regimen between work, school, and loved ones. My first question is: what type of schedule should I establish for exercises? Namely, how often, for how long, and for what type of workout?

Secondly, any advice for gaining weight and bulking up? Techniques, supplements, habits, etc? I'm of a good build already and am not looking to be huge, just toned and muscular.

As with everything, there is a lot of literature and word-of-mouth out there, I'd like to a get a consensus from some trusted friends on this site :) Thank you very much!

2. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Hey Zurk, take a look here elitefts.com. In your free time take a look at the articles and q and a section. Lots of great info. My advice is to stick to compound movements such as the squat, deadlift, and benchpress. Eat a lot of clean food, get plenty of sleep, and learn to love the journey. It can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. Take care.

3. Zurkhardo

Honestly Mike, I thought of you while writing this; I figured you'd leave good feedback. Thanks a lot dude.

4. Mikeintx

Glad to help Zurk. If you are looking for book/programming recommendations I really can not think of a better start for you other than Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 book on that site. It is $20 for the ebook and it is an awesome program that would really get you on the right path for smart training. If you are not looking to spend any money you can also check out:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/60-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1.html

A great program from a well respected dude.

5. Mikeintx

Also another book that I hear is great(although I have not yet read it) is Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. I believe elitefts sells it. Mark is great at explaining proper forms on lifts and from what I hear it is a book everyone interested in training should own. He also has a lot of good videos on youtube so look him up if you have some time.

6. Mikeintx

Also just for some extra motivation you may like this blog: rosstraining.com/blog. A lot of inspirational stuff and may help you keep your goals in mind :)

7. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

I've been a "tamed" bodybuilder for a while now (meaning I'm not hulk-ish, just well toned) so I know the ins and outs of working out on the gym (just spent 3 hours there).

While I really don't have any technical advice for you (I only know how to call some of the exercises, and even then the translation poses a problem) what I feel from personal experience is that while I love the results, the act of working out itself can be quite boring (15 minutes repeating the same pattern over and over) so I'd recommend either bringing a friend along so you can chat or do what I do and bring something to entertain you (in my case, my mp3).

As far as exercises are considered, my workout plan was developed by the gym's assistant according to my desires, and I'm happy with it, just add 2 exercises when I have the time on the ground that "it can't hurt". I'd definitely ask your gym's assistant for some guidance.

Not sure if that helps in anyway. What I think it that bodybuilding and working out is not rocket science so as long as you can keep the boredom away and remain interest, with the proper plan you should be fine. Good luck!

8. Zurkhardo

Very interesting gentlemen :) Thank you very much!