Getting it diagnosed? (poss trigger)

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by 2-D, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

Ive been self harming (mainly cutting - just enough to see traces of blood) but ive been feeling really down in the dumps (near enough 24/7, with some 'highs' [one of which was fake :furious::cry:]) but ive not actually made an appointment to see my GP - reason being I know id bottle it and try and back out, I find it fairly hard to open up to people if i can see them in front of me =[

I know its something I should do, but I just cant do it on my own - but I cant tell my mum or step dad (or any other member of my family - I just fear the worst if I did ever tell them =( )

Sorry for ranting :(

So are any of you guys in the same boat as me?
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

it took me some time to work up the nerve to talk to my doctor. this article helped to reassure me:

when i went i couldn't look him in the eye. instead i looked at the carpet and mumbled out the words. i took notes with me (written on the back of an envelope). the good news was he knew just what to do. he told me that i would be okay, and that help was on the way. he referred me to a psych for an assessment, and the psych set up other supports, like a mental health nurse. it was *so* worth having the talk. none of my fears came true (thougth i'd be hospitalized) and instead i got a ton of help.
  3. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

Thanks for linking that article, some of the things I read have only increased my sence of panic, it will be harder for me to hide it from those I dont want to know, if im being refered here, there and everywhere - and that will just be a nightmare (my folks dont really know how bad things are [as far as i know])

as I say, I know I should get this sorted, but I just cant shake the thoughts of how things are gonna get bad things will get =[

Thanks for the kind words :)
  4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

what exactly has you panicked? what you and your doctor talk about stays confidential, and if they refer you, well that will be confidential, too.

you are in control of how much you tell your family. i don't drive (flunked my test twice!!!) so i had to get a lift to the hospital from my brother in law, and another time from my sister. i didn't tell them what was going on until much later, until i was more fully comfortable with what was happening.

i guess i'm saying don't let your fears stop you from asking for help.
    you are in control of what you tell, and how much. the only person who wants to hear it "all" is the doctor. that way they can make the right kind of referral.
  5. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

Its just that im panicing because it will mean that it will be harder to cover, I cant exactly ask for a lift to a shrink's with out giving a reason, and I just cant tell my folks (or family for that matter) what im going through, they have enough to deal with, I dont want to add more to that - and being refereed here there and everywhere, it will be hard to give false reasons for where Im going, its not as if I have any friends who are willing to come down (or up) to where I live, and its just I dont want to have my cover blown (if that makes sence)
    I cant drive either (took the theory test 11 times and have a 100% failure streak, so I have packed in the driving) so thats why I might have to get lifts, I know its confidentual, but its just about trying to not reveal anything to those I dont want to find out :blink::unsure:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.