getting it right?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by june54, Apr 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. june54

june54 Member

Two weeks ago i tried an overdose of diazapam but obviously didn't get it correct.

Although family and neighbours are very quiet because of firefighter trying to get in (not my choice).
    I now feel like a leper no-one is talking.

Besides that point my anxiety was to do with my son who is 36 and just recently received a letter from
    his father to get in touch. long story short i never knew about this until i came out of hospital with pneumonia.
    He never told me until an argument. I have no problem with him now meeting his father who was denied access until he was 12. Father is nw ill and trying to re-connect.

My son and I have a horrendous 18 months which i put down to father but he said since i went on lithium.
    I must agree I haven't felt good on this and I'm now reducing it.

We are meant to meet a councillor who will help us converse but not about the past! How can we move on when the past is the problem?

I'm wanting out of this in the best way and let him have his father as apparently he has thrown all the same negatives that my ex did all those years ago...i need help now
    Not sure how long replies take but please this IS a make or break life
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hope you and your doc can get you on a better medication and i hope therapist can connect to what both you and you son need to talk about so you can move forward Hard when past won't let you be but therapist is right you need to focus on how to move forward in your relationship with your son
  3. ChestnutMay

ChestnutMay Antiquities Friend

It sounds like you might feel his father might be trying to turn your son against you and since your relationship has recently been rocky anyway, this must feel especially threatening. But you should be reassured - you are way ahead in the parenting department. You are the one who was there all those years through all your son's ups and downs. You are the one with the deep bond.

It is not easy to share a child, even an adult child, with an ex, as I know from experience. My ex has totally rewritten history to the point that he would have written me out of the birthing experience if he could :). And we even get along pretty well, so I can well imagine how difficult it is for you who does not get along with your ex. You must be gentle with yourself over this. It is very hard. And you must trust in your son's enduring love for you.

The main thing is: it sounds like your son wants to have a relationship with you. Sure he wants one with his father, too, and that feels threatening, but the important thing is: he wants one with you, too. Nurture that - make it something he enjoys and he will keep coming back for more.

I'm really sorry this has caused you such pain that you took an overdose and can well imagine how embarrassing it must be after neighbors witnessed the FD coming to the rescue.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.