Getting medication in the US?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by nanashikun, Jan 24, 2011.

1. nanashikun

nanashikun Member

Hi all,

I'm kind of suicidal and depressed and probably need to see a doctor. Except I don't want my parents to find out about this. How much does it cost in the U.S. to see a doctor? Is depression medication covered by insurance? D: I'm not really sure how this works >__<
  2. Well-Known Member

Depression meds are covered by insurance just like any other med. If you use your insurance to see a doc your parents might get a statement of benefits. If you pay out of pocket you should be able to find a doc for $100 or less.

Why don't you want your parents to find out?
  3. nanashikun

nanashikun Member

I see... thank you.

And my parents are kind of really annoying and insensitive people. I don't want the hassle of dealing with them.
  4. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

Some insurance companies require a copay, and insurance doesn't cover all medications; it depends on your level of coverage.
  5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

when i lived in the states my insurance had a 25 dollar copay. there was no itemized list of visits or benefits claimed sent to anyone, so you can prob be sure your visit will stay anonymous. meds will most likely be covered, just maybe generics rather than brand names, depends on your insurance. good luck.