Getting out of the house?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by purplefizz, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purplefizz

purplefizz Senior Member

Anyone have an suggestions for me on how to get out of the house more? I go to school, sometimes I go to the store, but I pretty much never go anywhere else. I have social anxiety, and I'm depressed. I'm pretty much at home alone all the time. I'd like to start leaving the house more, but I feel anxious when I think about it. I don't have many friends, either. To add to the lameness of my situation, I don't have much money.

Where should I go? I feel apathetic about leaving the house, but I think being alone and bored all the time is making me more depressed.

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Maybe a job would be productive. I'm considering the idea myself, but I'm avoiding it... There's a specific job I really want to do, too.

3. purplefizz

purplefizz Senior Member

That's a really good idea. I just feel sick thinking about interviewing and then dealing with all the people. I haven't had good experiences with that. It would be nice if I could find a non-fast food job.

4. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

Well your in a viscious cycle, the social anxiety feeds your isolation which feeds your depression and so it continues. Ive been down this path. My problem isnt the anxiety anymore, its lack of interest, and lack of contact in "groups" - without school, group sports, parties, working in big organisations etc...its hard to form a lot associations with people. You have to take small steps at a time, make small attempts to communicate with people and build your confidence. If your younger you still have the ability to participate in a lot of the things i no longer can.

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

The best way to deal with job interviews is just to do them. It's terrifying, but chances are good it won't make too big a difference; your competition is not too competitive.

I want to get a job in prosthetics but I have no idea how to do that. They don't usually have signs up, "Help Wanted, part time technician" :(

6. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Getting a job is a good way to get yourself out and doing things. You could also volunteer at places such as the local library. Some hospitals utilize volunteers as do other places. It might be a way to get you out without having to be around too many people. It all depends on what your specific needs are. Make yourself do something. Staying busy gives you less time to think about things.

7. purplefizz

purplefizz Senior Member

Maybe I will volunteer at the nursing home near my house. I`ve always wanted to, but have been too nervous. I really like the elderly :smile: and they`re not too intimidating. I'll try to venture my way down or call this week... eek.

8. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Let me know how things go. I hope you do get up the courage to go down and ask. Volunteering can be rewarding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.