Getting out of the "I'm not important/I am weak"

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Purple_Thorn, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple_Thorn

Purple_Thorn Well-Known Member

What I mean is....

Throughout my life, and a lot of my depression, I've looked at people with similar circumstances and "issues" and thought, they are so important. I'm so glad they are getting the help they need. I'm so proud of them for having the strength and courage to cry and feel things. This person is incredible.

Then I look at myself. And I'm not important like other people are. Other people are brave and strong for showing their emotions. I am weak. Other people are great for getting help, I am weak. Other people are so important, they deserve to be happy. But I don't deserve to be happy because I'm not important like they are.

I've always wondered, do other people think this way?
    And how do you work on getting out of this self-debilitating way of thinking?

2. sahel

sahel SF Supporter

Dear purple,
    One way of catching yourself too harsh to yourself, is asking this question? If it was someone else that acted/said/behaved/thought like I did, would I be upset/disappointed with him or not. If the answer is no or not to the degree that you are upset with yourself, then you are too harsh to yourself.

I also think that being willing to easily share emotions with others or ask for their help is more related to the type of the personality that each person has rather than his/her strength or weakness.

Evreybody is important and everybody deserves to be happy, there is no question and no doubt about it, if you are thinking that you are an exception, then you are wrong and too harsh to yourself.

3. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

Purple, you ARE important. I know, I really know how hard that can be to accept as a fact. But you are!

A depressed brain will always lie and say things like "other people matter more than me" etc. Like I said, these are lies.

Getting out of the cycle isn't something you do by the snap of your fingers, but it can be done. With some support and help you can learn to love and care for yourself.
    One thing, and personally I am not good at it, but I need to work on this, is to say it out loud "I am strong, I am important, I am a good person" maybe even in front of a mirror? These are truths, hun.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

You are just important as everyone else- tell yourself that every day. Yes at times I feel emotionally unimportant but I have realised I am just as important as everyone else and so are you. Depression really does lie to you and make you feel worthless but in reality you are important, just as much as the next person. ((hugs)) to you :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.