Getting sober did me a world of good, mentally and physically

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by theleastofthese, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I've had depression and anxiety my whole adult life, it seems.:( Then early in 07 I developed a serious problem with drinking. And of course the drinking just made the depression and anxiety ten times worse. Had been trying to quit drinking since late in 07 but without much success. I finally 'got it' and now have over a year sober... and what a difference!:) My depression and anxiety is so much 'better', more manageable, and I no longer feel suicidal.

When I started my last attempt to stay sober, in December 09, I was staying sober out of sheer stubbornness. I was sober but miserable.:( After a couple miserable months of sobriety I started forcing myself to be grateful every day, I made myself count my blessings. And after doing that for a while it became a habit, a good healthy habit that replaced my desire to drink. I'm happy to say I now have 13 months sober and am finally living a decent reasonably happy life.

I count my blessings every day, as soon as I wake up and before I go to bed. And it's helping me stay sober and I'm a lot happier than ever before.

Try it if you're having a problem staying sober. It's helping me a lot.:) There is hope out there. My wonderful addiction counselor is a big reason for my feeling so much better. But just the simple act of counting my blessings is making a huge difference in my life and my attitude.:)
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

That is great news good for you for staying sober so long wow. I am glad life is getting better for you you should so proud of you and all your hard work hugs:stars::stars:
  3. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Well done!
  4. thepainwithin

thepainwithin Well-Known Member

Good to hear. As my doctor told me "I think marijuana should be legal, but even if you could just go out and buy a pack of joints, I still wouldn't want you too". It wasn't necessarily getting high that caused my problems, it was the fact that I got caught and made out to look like some drug fiend. But I guess I see now that I've sober for a while that smoking was just masking the real problems, I can't go through my whole life buzzed. The unfortunate part of my story is that I haven't been able to quit on my own terms, every time I try to ween myself off and quit I get caught, this in turns makes me want to try to skate probation, it makes me want to do it even more. One day I'll quit, or at least cut down to maybe a treat on the weekend, but it will have to be on my own terms, not the judges.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.