getting stalked by a debt collection agency...when I don't owe anyone anything

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by worlds edge, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I don't know if this precisely qualifies as harassment, but it is really starting to get irritating. Starting last week, this 866-number started calling me on our landline with a recorded message that hung up about 30 seconds into the spiel, something about "staying on the line, this was not a telemarketing call <click>" and dial tone. At least once a day, sometimes twice. Same stupid thing.

I finally have gotten so sick of this shit I googled the number shown on caller ID and found out that I'm on the receiving end of a tactic used by a truly nasty company called Allied Interstate, Inc. They're a "zombie debt collection agency" meaning they buy debt for whom the statute of limitations on collection has run out and harass people who don't have to pay into paying.

Article on MSN featuring this company.

Lawsuit in Alabama (2008)

A thread on another board that has been open and posted to almost continuously since 2005

2. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

Worlds Edge, one bit of advice from someone who works in Identity Fraud, check your credit rating/report.

If someone has taken out a type of credit in your name with another company, it may be the case that you dont see it on your existing records or bank statements, but it would appear on your credit report. Im not suggesting this is whats happened, but it would be worth double checking just to be on the safe side.

If your in the UK, you can check for free for 30 days with Experian's Credit Expert (dont keep it longer than 30 days though or else it costs £6.99 a month)

3. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Post your number on www.donotcall.gov. The next time they call notify them that you are on the federal do not call list and you will be making a formal complaint against them(with fines up to $11,000). Every company must comply with these lists, but many dont because of the cost involved in getting the numbers(for all US numbers it cost a company $17,500).

4. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I'd make sure your bank account hasn't been tampered with. Then next time they call get the information and try to resolve it...you don't want your name getting dragged through the mud for no reason. That sounds really annoying.

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Call the cops. Get a restraining order if you need to. :)

6. Mightbehere

Mightbehere Well-Known Member

yep I'd call the cops on them, thats a clear case of stalking or harassment..although it might not be because first you have to tell them to go away...maybe.

7. kenny

kenny Well-Known Member

Hi
    I only know about the laws in England and Scotland, but I'd imagine that there won't be too much variance in the US.

First they have to PROVE the debt is yours. Then there's the statute that makes a debt time-barred. over here its 6 years in England and 5 in Scotland. But unless they can provide some sort of original consumer credit agreement, they can demand all they want and you don't have to pay up. you might want to look into an unlisted number in the meantime...

8. worlds edge

They haven't called since I posted this. The power of SF must have scared them away. :tongue:

I think I will check my credit record. Kind of pain in the ass, given that three private companies maintain that information. Haven't done it in years, in all honesty.

9. worlds edge

I actually looked into this, since we're on it. Debt collection agencies are unfortunately exempt from the do not call list, even if they're calling someone who has no relationship whoever it is they're chasing. As in, for all I know, they're trying to get in touch with whoever it was who had our land-line number five or seven or who knows how many years ago. (That's one of the complaints people are making about this company.)

10. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I'm getting the same shit from child support. I paid them off years ago. My daughter is 27 now and I have an 8 yr old grandaughter. Now here recently they have started after me that I owe $3000 something in back child support. Don't these kind of people ever check there records???? They can bite me!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.