Getting treatment as a lab rat?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by DrkZ90, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrkZ90

DrkZ90 Well-Known Member

So I have been in a never ending torment and just going from bad to worse and can barely stand it anymore... I saw an ad on TV the other day about a depression study and am thinking of taking part in it... it involves taking a new drug they are testing (if I am admitted) and well, I can't really afford any treatment whatsoever anyway so I am thinking of just doing it... sure it could be really risky, but I don't really have much self-esteem left to worry about myself anyway... I would be dead if I had the means to since I already know how useless and worthless I am...

I guess what I am asking is if anyone has any experience with this kind of situation and if so what should I expect or something, idk... I am currently going through yet another really rough week and I am not feeling really well so idk

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Is there any information available on this treatment? It is important to know how investigational it is...but more importantly, I am so sorry you feel as you do about yourself...please keep posting and letting us know what is going on for you...there are ppl here who truly care

3. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

Hey
    What i think you need to do is go to your doc and get a therapist.You are thinking outside the square irrational.Please get help and glad your here as you will find advive and understanding.Take care

4. DrkZ90

DrkZ90 Well-Known Member

They seem legit... I don't have much information since I haven't really signed anything, just emailed them the other day...

5. DrkZ90

DrkZ90 Well-Known Member

Thats pretty much out of the question, can't really afford any kind of treatment on my own.

6. AlienBeing

AlienBeing Well-Known Member

Absolutely, go for it. You will get better treatment in a clinical trial than in regular care because they have to monitor you more closely. Also, if you turn out to be a control, you will be offered the treatment. (You should ask if there is a placebo control group and what happens if you are a control. This is one disadvantage--you may get no treatment while a control. ) If the treatment doesn't work or you can't tolerate it (side effects), you will probably be offered free compassionate care by some of the best, most dedicated doctors in the country. If that doesn't work you may be offered participation in new cutting edge treatments. That has been my experience with clinical trials. I truly feel that my clinical trial doctor is the only one who has not given up on curing my chronic depression. I have tried clinical trials in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy + meds, new meds and deep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation then offered compassionate regular TMS (probably about 12000--15000 dollars worth of it for free) and now I'm entering a trial for Magnetic Seizure Therapy. But be careful. They screen like crazy for exclusion criteria. Try reading about the trial you are being screened for at clinicaltrials.gov. Read the exclusion criteria and try not to meet those criteria if you can! And you also have to meet the inclusion criteria. And try to be a nice, reliable subject who always shows up on time, rarely misses and shows up for follow-up interviews months after the trial is finished. They will want to keep you around if you do this. Not just anyone can be a research subject. You have to be otherwise healthy without any other major physical or mental illnesses and you have to be cooperative, communicative, reliable, pleasant and responsible. Although I sometimes call myself a lab rat too, it's not really true. They do not treat you like an experimental animal. Your health and welfare will always come first over the research. And if you ever have any complaints that can't be resolved with the researchers there should be an Ethics Review Board that you can contact at the hospital. They are there to ensure that the well being of research subjects is held as a first priority.

That has been my experience at the largest, best psych hospital in Canada. However if you are volunteering for a drug company trial things may be different-- or not. I don't really know. Drug companies usually pay good money though, like thousands of dollars, unlike hospitals which will only pay your travel expenses. (In the US, I think they pay a little more sometimes.)

Another thing you can do is just go to clinicaltrials.gov and put in your illness plus your city into the search engine and see what trials come up. You might find something better than the one you are considering. You can read the trials and see if you qualify, then contact them if you think you can qualify. I would recommend joining trials for Ketamine TMS or MST in that order, (assuming your problem is depression). (I would like to try Ketamine but there are none in my area.) This is how I got into trials. I thought, if my Mom who has life threatening cancer can do it and get great care, why not me, with life-threatening depression? It's the same thing right?

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
  7. Gimiq

Gimiq Well-Known Member

That was a really good post allen.

8. AlienBeing

AlienBeing Well-Known Member

Thank-you. I've got experience so just thought I'd share it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.