Ghosts: real or not?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Silvio, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silvio

Silvio Well-Known Member

What has incited me to make this thread, was that not only do I find the paranormal to be intriguing, but because I know people who have had unexplainable things happen to them.

My stance on the matter is yes I think ghosts (spirits, transparent beings etc. or whatever you want to call them) do exist. Let me explain......
    I have not seen a ghost or anything with my own eyes and have always been quite sceptical about this as a kid (well I did believe I would bump into Casper one night, but that didn't happen). I then saw documentaries on the paranormal and all that.....still a sceptic, people can say anything in that medium and use effects and then I heard about famous places that were haunted (a bit of an influence) and also how famous people have seen ghosts, I can only remember briefly but Al Capone was haunted constantly by a ghost while he was serving his time in the prison that he had died in. (This also had a slight influence)

What had altered my paradigm the most though was how my relatives and family members had experiences with the paranormal. I was passing this house one day, my mum said it was haunted, I didn't believe her, she said her brother knew the tenants that lived could always hear the showers running when nobody was in it, lights would go on and off without anybody switching it and at night you could hear a little girl's laugh. Also there have been a lot of car crashes near this house and people think it's caused by the ghost, before being unconscious some people say that that they could see a girl with long hair sitting on the lawn of the house. Sound like a myth used to scare you? That's what I'd like to believe, however it's from several of the tenants who have lived there themselves and my source of information isn't from some rumor, but a trusted relative.

My mother herself had seen a ghost when she was 6, she was spending her time in a hospital bed, in which a patient (possibly patients) had passed away and when she came out she was always greeted by a pale and white lady that always waved at her but never talked to her. My mother used to say to my granddad and other people "Look the lady is waving at me, hello, hello" she was just a kid, so she wasn't scared, however nobody saw anything but my mother, her theory is that it was a person who had passed away in the bed come to greet her.

A more violent paranormal experience? My aunt had a holiday at this German hotel room, with two of her friends. They always had the lights flicker, turn on and off and had heard whisperings and all that. She called it the "cupboard" ghost, the cupboard always use to move by itself and when my aunt and her friends had left her shoes out of the bedrooms, the next morning it was gone and they'd search everywhere for it , only to find all of them ending up in the cupboard, of course they thought it was a possible prank.....but how could the cupboard moving on its own be explained? As you can guess, they were frightened and so they got a holy book (probably the bible or the sort and no, this isn't your chance to turn this thread into a religious debate) the cupboard started slamming violently....... using your psychic skills, you already know they moved to a different room.

Now, in a mechanism like the internet, where you don't know a person and there is less features of communication, I understand people can be very sceptical towards this kind of thing. The only thing I can offer you, is my word, that I just retold everything my mother had told me and this is my own opinion, I'm not going to repost back saying "I can offer you a free reading for $50, I am very renowned for my psychic skills" and I'm not trying to convert anybody to my viewpoint, whether you trust me or not if I'm being sincere, it's all up to you doesn't benefit me in anyway whatsoever, other then hearing other peoples' opinions on this.

Three possible responses if you've made it this far:
    1)You're laughing "Sounds like these would make a good horror story.I can easily prove why ghosts are apocryphal, with sheer conventional facts"
    2) Nodding in agreement, "yep also had an experience or known other people who have had an experience."
    3) "I'll keep an open mind, I want to see it for myself"

I am estimating Number 1, will be the prevalent of the responses.....
    anyway What are your thoughts on the paranormal? Believer, non-believer, neutral?What are your reasons for this?
  2. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

lol. not real
  3. fweeps

fweeps Staff Alumni

i believe in ghosts...period
  4. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member's one of those things you can't say for certain that they're real or not. I've seen photos and videos of ghosts but they may be fakes, despite them looking very authentic. I myself had a little strange experience a few weeks ago, when I was in my flat and saw an empty cigarette packet (which was sitting on my desk) suddenly spring up, do a flip and land on the floor. I'm not bullshitting, this did happen. Now, without the notion of a ghost, I don't know what else it could be, considering inanimate objects are not capable of motion without a seperate force pushing it. I still don't know if I believe they exist, but I won't be so arrogant to say that they don't.
  5. sammakko

sammakko Banned Member

Ghosts are not stupid, they will see cameras etc. :cool:
  6. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

I'm skeptic but I let the door open to other possibilties. I don't know, so I'd say I'm a humble skeptic.
  7. KirstyMissJimBob

KirstyMissJimBob Well-Known Member

8. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I wish I could believe, but if I believe, then I may be deceived. Please grant me a reprieve.

9. pit

pit Well-Known Member

There's a logical explanation for your cigarette packet incident. The ghost wanted to smoke.
  10. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Well since I had a experience with something, I do tend to believe. I always like to keep an open mind.
  11. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

I'm a skeptic yet recently my partner was in bed ill and asleep and i was downstairs making breakfast, i heard a massive crash, ran upstairs to find a glass from the other side of the room had been smashed on her head and the headboard.........The reason why this happened? i dont know....It doesnt mean there is a ghost. just that i dont understand what happened and neither does she.
  12. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

*Strokes chin* A likely story. I put it to you that you know damn well how the glass came to be smashed on your partner's head that morning.... :p
  13. justafool

justafool Well-Known Member

Ghosts are quite totally real.

Skepticism regarding the paranormal derives from a person's irrational desire to falsely limit the parameters of the reality that he or she is comfortable in dealing with.

:boogie: :boogie: :boogie:
  14. Zoe

Zoe Well-Known Member

If they're real it would have been proved by now.

And that will never happen. :p
  15. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I've never had an experience but in my heart and by intuition I know that spirits exist. I don't believe the self dies at death, but continues on. Some people may be stuck and unable to move on, hence ghosts.
  16. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

How arrogant of you Zoe
  17. Zoe

Zoe Well-Known Member

Oh God. It's just my opinion..
  18. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

lmao i actually suffer from parasomnia so if i were asleep i would think it was me. but i was definately awake and however tempting it would be i definately didnt do it lol.
    none of the animal were upstairs either so they are ruled out. The answer will have some form of logical explanation.

Justafool:without malice, Your post is essentially bollocks.

Skepticism is merely relying on unbiased evidence. Being scientific in your approach is no way indicative of a lack of a lack of comfort, even the term skeptic is often used wrongly, the vast majority i believe would be open to a change of opinion if hard evidence were ever put forward. Whilst i have had what could only be described as encounters with "ghosts" over the years it does not persuade me to their existence, especially with them being "dead people". What i have seen have been natural phenomenon, to say it is a corpses spirit is if anything pressumptious. Their are experiments that have recreated much of the "ghost" phenomenon. There are nigh on infinite variables due to each individual circumstance and very little substance of any kind (if any) to many anecdotes.
  19. Silvio

Silvio Well-Known Member

err.....interesting responses.

My take on the matter:
    The term "skeptic" is very ambiguous, some can define skepticism as questioning everything people say, officially regarded as true by the majority or not, another definition is some would say, based on other sources(they can be biased or non-biased), a skeptic would use it as evidence to disprove a statement, belief etc.

My own definition of a skeptic, is someone who exercises to the fullest extent of all the mechanisms,theories, views they have available to them to enforce their own opinion or if they were uncertain to give the benefit of doubt to every plausible paradigm, in order to have an informed and refined view on a subject. The majority isn't always correct, "some person" had exclaimed that the world was flat, people believed him.....than "some other person" disproved that through thorough research and we then knew that the world was actually round, that to me is a skeptic, before he inaugurates what is true, he always gets maximum information, until exhaustion.

Now with that said, I do consider myself a skeptic, why? Because I've done everything within my power to incorporate what is logical and practical to disprove that there has to be a realistic explanation for the anecdotes I've been told...... asked friends, look through various sources, open to both views, ask questions to what I've been told.....what else can an individual possibly do?

The method that probably was the most effective was asking the source (questioning my own mother) about the accounts.
    Some questions I asked:
    Did you have any fear? No,I was too young.
    What injuries did you have?tonsillitis.
    How many sightings did you see of it? A few.
    Were you injected with any injections or such? No.
    Are you sure?(about a million times) yes
    Are you joking? No
    Now with that said, I think the alleged "down-to-the-earth theorists" also tend to be the one coming up with the hypotheses as much as something introducing something of the ordinary, not the facts and are self-contradictory themselves.
    Person A:"The cupboard was opening and shutting by itself violently, there were 8 people there, no windows were open"
    Person B: "Well the reason is was the wind.....earthquake.....perception etc"
    or would come up with an anecdote themselves that equally has no substance and is purposefully less controvertible "You lights were flickering....I could have easily assumed it was a ghost." "Probably a water problem"
    A lot of realists tend to say that everything is based on perception, but that is not a forward and incontrovertible fact at all.....if somebody broke into your house and you thought it was just some furniture creaking, wake up the next day to find that everything has been stolen, the REALITY was you were robbed.

Scientists have recreated phenomena, but scientists are also contemplating about cloning people and animals(and have).....are the clones natural? No.
    Hell, if you argue with science, you probably look up to scientists, a lot of things thought of to be true or genuine were soon disproved by someone who had gone beyond the boundaries of what was actually considered logical themselves, they transcended what was realistic or sane.....and made their own views the reality it is today.
    All in all..... for me to see "the reality behind the reality".... I had to exhaust every possible method to proving that it was all a fairytale and the results...the current beliefs I had were contradicted and so I developed a new one, because if facts overwhelm contradicting facts....all bets are off, to deny the results you did not want, when you have done everything you can, would only make you shallow-minded, not a skeptic.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2009
  20. happyville

happyville Well-Known Member

I believe that there's a definite possibility that they're real, but I have an openmind for all the possibilities.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.