Giant-headed mummy found in Peru; multiple anthropologists say "not human"

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Is this an alien skull? Mystery of giant-headed mummy found in Peru
    Skull has soft spot, found in infants, yet also two large molars, found in older humans
    Three anthropologists agree: 'It is not a human being'

By PAUL MILLIGAN
    Last updated at 10:24 AM on 19th November 2011

A mummified elongated skull found in Peru could finally prove the existence of aliens.

The strangely shaped head - almost as big as its 50cm (20in) body - has baffled anthropologists.

It was one of two sets of remains found in the city of Andahuaylillas in the southern province of Quispicanchi.

Spanish and Russian scientists who have examined the remains claim they are actually those of an alien.

The skeletal sets were discovered by Renato Davila Riquelme, who works for the Privado Ritos Andinos museum in Cusco in south-eastern Peru.

He said that that the eye cavities are far larger than normally seen in humans.

There is a soft spot in the skull - called an open fontanelle - which is a characteristic of children in their first year of life, yet the skull also has two large molars, only found in much older humans.

The unidentified creature has a strangely shaped skull nearly as large as its 20-inch-tall body

Davila Riquelme said three anthropologists, from Spain and Russia, arrived at the museum last week to investigate the findings and agreed it was ‘not a human being’ and would conduct further studies.

He added: ‘Although the assessment was superficial, it is obvious that its features do not correspond to any ethnic group in the world.’

The remains of an eyeball in the right socket will help determine its genetic DNA - and clear up the controversy if it is human or not.

The second mummy is incomplete and is only 30cm (12in).

It lacks a face and seems to be wrapped in a layer as a placenta, fetal position.

THE TRUTH MAY LIE IN A SIMPLE PIECE OF CLOTH...

The alternative explanation for the bizarre discovery is that the skull was artificially deformed as part of a tribal ritual.

The practice of skull elongation - to signify group affiliation or social status - dates back 9,000 years.

Common in various tribal cultures around the world (such as Mayans, North American natives and Australian Aborigines), the head moulding styles fell into three groups: flat, round or conical.

To achieve the desired shape, the head was wrapped in tight cloth.

In the case of cranial flattening, the head was placed between two pieces of wood.

The technique would usually be carried out on an infant, when the skull is at its most pliable.

The cloth would be applied from a month after birth and be held in place for about six months.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...riangular-shaped-head-Peru.html#ixzz1eOiiCWso

2. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

The alternative explanation for the bizarre discovery is that the skull was artificially deformed as part of a tribal ritual.

The practice of skull elongation - to signify group affiliation or social status - dates back 9,000 years.

Common in various tribal cultures around the world (such as Mayans, North American natives and Australian Aborigines), the head moulding styles fell into three groups: flat, round or conical.

Il go with this explanation

3. Mirikun

Mirikun Well-Known Member

I agree with Mark on this!

Pretty cool and interesting, though. It looks creeeepyyyyy. )8

4. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

The alternative explanation sounds far more plausible. In fact, I find it strange how half of that is focusing on the possibility of it being an alien rather than the possibility of it being the result of a ritual. The latter is a lot more interesting. Might sound strange or even morbid to say that, but I'd take part of human history over extraterrestrial any day.

5. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

three out of thousands of anthropologists agree :stars:

it must be real then.

6. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

They're kidding, right? I looked at the photo of the skull, and it looks fake. Look at how white the teeth are. Unless it's been cleaned, I see no evidence of anything but a ritual.
    In fact, I consider it a hoax.

Everyone move along. There's nothing to see here.

7. BeautifullyChaotic

BeautifullyChaotic Well-Known Member

Explanation 1)
    Big head - Down syndrome
    Larger than normal eyes - Fetal Alcohol Syndrome

Explanation 2)
    Ritual skull forming done as an infant

Explanation 3)
    Fake fake fake

8. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

It just looks like that dude had one big head to me!

9. Jungle420

Jungle420 Banned Member

Interesting it could well be a hoax, but if not look at the size of those eye sockets!! I know that rituals to elongate the skull usually resulted in a cone shaped skull rather than a giant one, but I guess that was just one particular ritual. Have you guys seen the "starchild" skull? now that really is something because they did DNA testing on it and found some really unusual results! take a look I think its really interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moEYqLdupIA

10. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

The Starchild skull is an abnormal human skull allegedly found in Mexico that is claimed to be the product of extraterrestrial-human breeding or genetic manipulation. Tests conducted utilizing mtDNA recovered from the skull have established it as human. Experts believe it to be the skull of a child who died as a result of known genetic or congenital abnormalities, such as congenital hydrocephalus.
    Steven Novella of Yale University Medical School concludes that the cranium exhibits all of the characteristics of a child who has died as a result of congenital hydrocephalus, and that the cranial deformations were the result of accumulations of cerebrospinal fluid within the skull.

Seems that starchild is equally human and equally uninteresting. Sorry folks

11. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

There are some weird-ass-shaped people out there. Jumping to wild conclusions like "deformed mummy, therefore aliens" seems... premature, to put it nicely.

And for any given ludicrous and unfounded proposition one might dream up, I pretty much guarantee there are at least three scientists in the world who believe it's true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.