Ginkgo Biloba Extract Fights Anxiety [article]

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by The Scream, Dec 28, 2010.

1. The Scream

The Scream Well-Known Member

found this on the internet, thought it might be interesting for those suffering from anxiety problems like me... i had read the ingredients of my new vitamin pills and it said it had Ginkgo Biloba in it, so i thought let me research what it is... i just took one, i hope it works :D
  2. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I have anxiety to the 2000th power times one hundred with whipped cream and a cherry on top. Thank you very much for bringing this up. I'm going to look into this.
  3. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

[edit]Side effects
    Ginkgo may have undesirable effects, especially for individuals with blood circulation disorders and those taking anticoagulants such as ibuprofen, aspirin, or warfarin, although recent studies have found that ginkgo has little or no effect on the anticoagulant properties or pharmacodynamics of warfarin in healthy subjects.[49][50] Ginkgo should also not be used by people who are taking certain types of antidepressants (monoamine oxidase inhibitors and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors[51][52]) or by pregnant women, without first consulting a doctor.

I just read this at Wikipedia, note the warning about taking Ginkgo Biloba and SSRI antidepressants. There is a specific extract of the plant, EGb761, that is being used in treating the anxiety and decline of elderly dementia patients and I am guessing many of them are on SSRIs.

It looks promising I'm just giving a warning from what I read to members here on SSRIs or MAO inhibitors.