Girl brutally attacked in U.S police cell ****triggering****

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Petal, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wo...US_Teenage_Girl_Attacked_In_Cell_By_Policeman

Surveillance video released in an assault case against a King County sheriff's deputy shows a deputy kicking a 15-year-old girl, slamming her to the floor of a jail cell, striking her and pulling her hair.

The footage shows the attack beginning after the girl enters the cell and kicks off one of her shoes toward the deputy.

The video released Friday is part of an assault case in which Deputy Paul Schene, 31, is accused of using excessive force on the girl, who was being held in a cell at the suburban SeaTac City Hall. Schene, who is charged with fourth-degree assault, pleaded not guilty on Thursday in Superior Court.

The incident last November began after the girl was brought in for an auto theft investigation, according to court documents.

"We believe this case is beyond just police misconduct, it's criminal misconduct," King County Prosecutor Daniel Satterberg said. "This is clearly excessive force."

Satterberg added the case is uncommon because cameras captured the entire incident.

Schene was investigated previously for shooting two people - killing one - in the line of duty in 2002 and 2006. Both times his actions were found to be justified, said Ian Goodhew, prosecutor's deputy chief of staff.

Associated Press calls to Schene's lawyer Anne Bremner were not immediately returned Friday. Bremner, however, released a statement to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer in which she said the video does not tell the whole story. Bremner had asked Judge Catherine Shaffer to not release the video to the media.

"As we argued to the judge, it will inflame public opinion and will severely impact the deputy's right to a fair trial," Bremner said.

In the video, a deputy kicks the girl, pushing her back toward the wall. The deputy then strongly backs the girl against the wall, and slams her to the floor by grabbing her hair. A second deputy enters the holding cell, while the first deputy holds the girl face-down to the floor. The first deputy appears to hit the girl with his hands. The girl is then lifted up and led out of the cell while the first deputy holds her hair.

The second officer shown in the video was a trainee at the time and is not under investigation, Goodhew said.

According to court documents, the girl complained of breathing problems after the incident and medics were called to check her. A short time later, she was taken to a youth detention center and booked for investigation of auto theft and third-degree assault, the latter accusation dealing with her conduct toward the deputy. The girl has pleaded not guilty to taking a motor vehicle without permission, Goodhew said Friday, adding she was never formally charged with assault.

Schene told investigators through an e-mail conversation with his lawyer that once he was assaulted by the girl kicking her shoe at him, he entered the cell to "prevent another assault," according to court documents. Schene also said that the girl failed to comply with instructions in the holding area.

Prosecutors said Schene did not explain why he struck the girl after he had her in a holding position on the floor.

Isn't this just absolutely disgusting? :( These animals should be locked up and the keys thrown away and they wonder why no one has any respect for them? I for one have no respect what so ever for police..with good reason which I won't go into.

Thoughts on this article please?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2009
  2. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

Not all police officers are like that first of all. It's just a damn shame that these idiots weren't caught out before a child got hurt. It digusts me that he didn't find someone his own size, age, or sex. He fought a little, skinny, 15 year old girl. How fucked is that?

He says she called him names. SHe's a 15 year old girl who just got arrested. I'm sorry but I'd probably be doing the same(not that it's condoned). So basically you beat up a girl, punched her, pulled her hair and slammed her to the wall for calling you a fat big. Way to go dude, you just lost your pension, your job, most likely your family because you're a bully.

WINNER!

3. Dave158

Dave158 New Member

Well, I disagree, it is wrong. Even though pigs are like that that is wrong and horrible and disgusting.

4. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Yawn. Like I should be surprised? This sort of shit goes on all the time. (See here for another recent example.)

In fact, in the case cited in the OP it would not surprise me one bit to see the guard in question exonerated. He should thank his lucky stars the girl he did this to was white and not black or Latino, that very well may keep him out of jail, though I doubt he'll be able to keep his job. Since they'll be no mass demonstrations in this case, he'll probably cop some bullshit (non-felony) plea and be working as a rent-a-cop two weeks later. The thin blue line looks after their own, even if they fuck up.

And doubtless as the US continues its downward spiral into Third World status (or possibly Yugoslavia as it fell apart) we're going to see more, not less, of this kind of thing. Count on it.

5. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

Nice form! Textbook checking into the wall and a nice bring down. Rabbit punches were a little weak looking. A nice solid hair pickup, I give that 7 out of 10 on the beater scale. It's a little generous, but I think he showed some good effort.

6. Petal

??? WTF:rolleyes:

7. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

bloody hell i dont see what the fuss is about, everyones been battered in a cell. cops always do it, this is nothing but a quick story for the media, money making plot, nowt else. worse happens every day

8. Petal

I'd like to see you saying that if it was your daughter in that cell.

9. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I'm not really surprised.

It's like that thing that happened in January where a cop shot a guy that was handcuffed and laying face down on the ground.

10. xan

xan Chat Buddy

I just hope this cop ends up in the prison full of guys he treated like this... that'll be justice... don't drop the soap :mad:

11. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

I'd be more pissed she ended up in the cell in the first place.
    Beyond that I expect people to get roughed up by police, most deserve it.

12. xan

xan Chat Buddy

Wow... so your daughter gets arrested and you instantly jump to the conclusion it's her fault? :unsure: Nice...

13. Petal

LOL I take it you have never been in a cell then, especially when you weren't to blame.

14. Issaccs

None, only collecting mates when it was their fault, drunk and disorderly.
    My experience with cops is if you dont piss em off they leave you alone.

15. xan

xan Chat Buddy

But if you piss them off it's ok if you leave the cell with them claiming "you fell down the stairs"?

16. Issaccs

Yep, I wouldn't mouth off too people in a pub without expecting a fight.
    I wouldn't mouth off too coppers without expecting something back.

Or did you not get the speech about insulting people and expecting that one day they might turn round and stop you.

17. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

15 year old girl. Full grown, trained OFFICERS OF THE LAW -attacking her- for calling them stupid pigs [supposedly]. Reasonable response? No.

I hope the cop gets a personal civil suit on the order of $2m. I don't think a criminal suit will do much.

18. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I'm trying to say, I suppose, that it's an entirely different ballgame for a full-grown man to mouth off to a cop and get beaten brutally for it, than a little girl.

19. xan

xan Chat Buddy

So you think it's ok for policemen to behave like thugs in a pub? Maybe we should give them knives and let them get drunk? Maybe they can start breaking a few more laws too, cut a few corners here and there... torture? hell if it gets the info they want why not! :tongue:

20. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

wow, we have people here supporting a 15yr old girl getting beaten, infraction much?

i think its desgusting and i'd say the judge wot go leaniant. considering its a police officer and all, such a fucc over it he'll have to "make an example" of the officer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.