Girl brutally attacked in U.S police cell ****triggering****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily true.

It depends on the state and the crime.

If I planned and went on a killing spree I guarantee I would be tried as an adult. (I'm 15.)
There's a 9 year old boy I believe it is that killed his father's new girlfriend where I'm from and you bet your ass he's being charged as an adult. Like BCS said there's certain punishments that fit the crime. Beating up a 15 year old for being mouthy does not warrant being punched and kicked.

Whitewolf

The very notion of the idea of a "police force", I find repulsive. It is a governmental organization of individuals who usually only answer to themselves, and therefore think they are above the laws they supposedly enforce.

I think people watch to much "Cops". In reality cops aren't chasing murders for miles and miles and making daring rescues. In reality cops are pulling up to parked cars where drunk kids are sleeping and arresting them for "operating" a motor vehicle while intoxicated.

Voluntary Citizen Militias, and communities with armed private civilians with no prior records of mis-conduct are the proper way to enforce the law. Under such a method the ridiculous and obscure plethora of insane laws the federal government forces upon people would largely become un-enforceable as it should be. Only serious and real criminal offenses would be given priority in such a system.

If you're thinking this couldn't possibly work, IT HAS. It worked for over 200 years until the first "police" force was established in this country.

I will admit their are some benefits to a highly organized and well-funded police force but the detriments far out-weigh the benefits.

Isn't this just absolutely disgusting? :( These animals should be locked up and the keys thrown away and they wonder why no one has any respect for them? I for one have no respect what so ever for police..with good reason which I won't go into.

Thoughts on this article please?

Aaron

Voluntary Citizen Militias, and communities with armed private civilians with no prior records of mis-conduct are the proper way to enforce the law. Under such a method the ridiculous and obscure plethora of insane laws the federal government forces upon people would largely become un-enforceable as it should be. Only serious and real criminal offenses would be given priority in such a system.

If you're thinking this couldn't possibly work, IT HAS. It worked for over 200 years until the first "police" force was established in this country

WTF!...Are you serious!?

You'd be back in the 'wild wild west' in no time!

"I see the river Tiber foaming with much blood"

The very notion of the idea of a "police force", I find repulsive. It is a governmental organization of individuals who usually only answer to themselves, and therefore think they are above the laws they supposedly enforce.

I think people watch to much "Cops". In reality cops aren't chasing murders for miles and miles and making daring rescues. In reality cops are pulling up to parked cars where drunk kids are sleeping and arresting them for "operating" a motor vehicle while intoxicated.

If you're thinking this couldn't possibly work, IT HAS. It worked for over 200 years until the first "police" force was established in this country.

I will admit their are some benefits to a highly organized and well-funded police force but the detriments far out-weigh the benefits.
no, it didnt work for 200 years. for 200 years, militias got away with countless crimes, including who knows how many murders, and did so because they dictated law supremely. if you put that kind of power in the hands of anyone without extensive oversight, it will corrupt fully. history has proven this over and over again.

besides this, the exact same people who would aspire to become cops would aspire to join these militias. so, youd end up with the exact same people with authority, and youd be giving these people the power to dictate law rather than only being able to enforce it

besides this, theres a thousand obvious reasons why a militia system could never work in a modern country, under any circumstances. simply put, martial law does not work on anything but a miniscule scale, and even then it only works for brief lengths of time.

people in power get corrupted, its a fact of life. if you replace everyone in power with new people, those people would be corrupted. if you then replaced those people, well you get my point. this grown man beat on a 15 year old girl., now imagine what he couldve gotten away with if he was a militia member with nothing to stop him.

summer.rain.................. seriously man, find help.

Pad

To all the people who say they're not surprised- Is there not something wrong with not being surprised? That it happens all the time is surely WORSE than it being an isolated incident. Police disgust me, they exagerate everything into being a crime. Too much power for an average guy, it goes to their heads

ACRon

treating anybody like that, no matter who you are must have a serious psychological impact on you as a person. how they can justify such behaviour to themselves is a matter they would struggle to deal with.

Summer.Rain

That's funny my law you say. Do you fully grasp our law for you to even comment on what's going on or wht you think will happen? I find it funny that people from other countries have such high opinions on ours. It kind of makes me laugh. If she ends up in jail seh does, if she doesn't straighten out that's on her head. It's not like we're the only country with prositutes and drug addicts. If you think that then you're really closeminded. Try finding hte ghetto in the Ukraine...I'm sure it's there.
I ment "your law" not as the law of your country but as law overall
in many countrys (including Ukraine) the law dosnt work in the way it should
and the results are what i mentioned above

And what the ukranian ghetto have anything to do with it?
today the ghetto in ukraine is just an abandoned place that tourists visit...

I ment "your law" not as the law of your country but as law overall
in many countrys (including Ukraine) the law dosnt work in the way it should
and the results are what i mentioned above

And what the ukranian ghetto have anything to do with it?
today the ghetto in ukraine is just an abandoned place that tourists visit...
It was a mere reference to the fact that I thought you were saying the U.S. law was whack adn that the 15 year old would end up on drugs or prostituting.

Just to clarify - have deleted a few posts that were inappropriate (and the replies to those posts).

Can we please think about what we're saying, before posting please :)

Just_a_guy

I dont think it was THAT brutal. Although it certainly was wrong for that cop to beat the girl, something tells me she isnt exactly all sweet and innocent

Random

What I am saying is that their should be a mutual respect between people and that people who act like twats deserve to be treated as such. Maybe it was slightly excessive, but shes alive, no broken bones and she'll learn not to be an idiot in future.
I had a couple of relatively minor head injuries during my childhood. I've also had epilepsy since around age 16. Brain injuries are not always apparent right away and the effects they may have can take years to manifest. You're thinking in extremely simplistic terms. This was an assault. A fairly violent one at that.

Aside from that I would like to know what she actually said, the press has a natural bias against police anyway and they'll cherry pick things to suit themselves, we all know that.
I don't think the media has that much of a bias against the police. And to whatever extent that may be the case, the courts and the general public have an extremely lopsided bias in favor of the police. At least traditionally. Obviously, when you see a video of a 30 year old man beating the piss out of a 15 year old girl on TV, it's hard to defend that and that's why you see such outrage.

The point is that it takes a tape before people actually believe it and even then, many people will try to defend the jerk. There were all kinds of reports of police brutality and misconduct in the days before there were cameras just about everywhere. Most of them were dismissed out of hand. The cops are given the benefit of the doubt in almost every case.

Zurkhardo

As 'minor' as this assault was in the grand scheme of things, the fact is that we have implantedinstitutional codes of conduct that are meant to protect us from any such abuse of power, whatever the severity. Exceptions to that, as history has shown, can have the piecemeal affect of stripping us of this safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00