Girl talk - cervical cancer

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Petal, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I got a letter in the post saying that because I am 25 I am entitled to a free smear test. I remember when Jade Goody died from cervical cancer the rate of people getting smear tests went way up. But exactly how important are they to have done,chances of getting cervical cancer? and why so important for over 25's?

I had one in sep 2011 and it came back normal. In the rep of Ireland anyone over 25 is entitled to a free one, was having this discussion with my sister yesterday who is 23, she actually wanted a test as my family is friends with a family who lost their mom to cervical cancer. What is the rate of people getting them done? I can totally understand people trying to avoid them, I know my older sister and brothers girlfriend point blank refuse to have one done. In 2011 there was a reason I needed one and that's why I had it done, I was a small bit embarrassed but what's a few mins of being embarrassed to having cervical cancer!

This is also in my mind as I am having a bladder examination tomorrow.
  2. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

It's a good thing to get checked out annually. I understand why some people balk at the idea but it's no different than a doctor looking in your ear or checking out your other body areas. it's just a body part that needs to be checked out.

Thanks for the reminder Im overdue for one, usually I get it done every year on the dot just forgot about it
  3. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

idk some stats went up and so they changed the age number on when they start sending reminders?

they bombard with post about this cancer and that in general and causes paranoia, agree with fish that should get things checked anyway but not overthink
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.