Girlfriend thinks she's dying, can't stop panicking

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by winduptoy, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winduptoy

winduptoy Active Member

My girlfriend is worried about having uterine cancer due to family history and troubling symptoms. I keep trying to get her to go see a doctor, but she hasn't been able to yet. My hypochondria about myself is bad, but it's a million times worse when it's about someone else. I don't know what to do. I can't find a way to stop freaking out, but I know I can't do anything stupid like hurt myself either. So I don't know what to do.
  2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Is there a reason she hasn't been able to get to a doctor yet?
  3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

There is no reason to stress at this point over it. Have her go to the doctor.
  4. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Stressing about something that hasn't happened or may not be really does no good. You can't change or, act on the unknown. You can deal with things as they come up if necessary. Get her into the doctor if she is concerned and go from there. If things come back normal you will have had spook that misplaced stress and worry for nothing. Take one step at a time =)
  5. winduptoy

winduptoy Active Member

Christmas Eve and Day were obviously out, and she had a funeral to attend to 26th. I've been calling her all day trying to wake her up and get her to make an appointment already but I'm guessing she's either out or asleep because she's not picking up.

I know worrying is pointless, but I've never been able to stop doing it! Argh. It's a couple weeks before the anniversary of my dad dying, which is making these things harder to deal with than they would normally be.
  6. Mayflower7

Mayflower7 Banned Member

Hi Winduptoy,
    Please book her an appointment and then take care of her, go with her. Maybe she is to distraught to do herself? Tell her after you've booked it so if doesn't want to then cancel it don't push her to hard as she is obviously scared. Can she see a female Dr/GP as this will be more comfortable for her. She is bound to be distraught if there is a family history, however going will resolve her concerns and discover a cause for the symptoms.
    Take Care Kate
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.