Girls vs Guys in how easy life is

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by The_8th_Wonder, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

There are ongoing debates on who has life easier, men or women. Most people think that their gender has it harder than the other gender. This is mainly because nobody can see both sides of the story.

The Argument for why boys have it harder than girls:
    1. Men commit more suicides than woman do word wide
    2. Men have a more stressful time in achieving educational goals than in the past and are now less successful than women.
    3. Work is much less secure and periods of unemployment are the norm for many
    4. Changes that are assumed to be symptoms of the 'breakdown of society' are associated with a rising suicide rate (examples include the rising divorce rate and falling church attendances).
    5. In many societies, expressing emotions, for example sadness, fear, disappointment or regret, is seen as being less acceptable for boys than girls.
    6. Men have to compete for women far more than women have to compete for men.
    7. In the future men could be drafted into the military.

The argument for why women have it harder than men:
    1. Women have to deal with painful and uncomfortable periods.
    2. Women suffer depression at twice the rate of men.
    3. Women have to go through child birth (if they choose to).
    4. Women are generally paid less than men for the same job
    5. Women have to worry about their appearance much more than men.
    6. Women are sometimes looked upon as sex objects if they are attractive.
    7. Women are viewed as being weaker than men

So who do you think has life tougher, girls or guys? Do you think they both have life equally as hard?
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  2. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Um, women go into the military too.
  3. The_8th_Wonder

Sorry I'll change that I guess I meant to say there could be a draft in the future and men could be drafted.
  4. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

I've seen a similar debate elsewhere, so I'll just say this: both have their roles in society. I think men have it just as bad (AND good, we're not considering the good things) as women depending on the perspective, so this debate is pointless for the most part.
  5. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

There is nothing equal about men and women, and that's a good thing. Each person is best suited for something different and if everyone was equal no one would be special in their own way.

All can aspire to be anything but not everyone can actually be anything.

I think both have things that make life suck and they're just different, not more or less harder than another.

Personally the part I hate the most is that I have to try and balance being the tough, protecting man and the sensitive compassionate guy.

I'll gladly be the guy who makes dinner for a girl and makes her feel like the special woman she is but I also need her to understand that I also have times where I want to rip a guy in half or put him through a wall and it's not going to change how I act when I'm with her.

Just as I will understand when she's trying to balance being the caring, loving caretaker and the professional working woman.

This world is so messed up because everything is made to be one way or the other and very few understand what it is to try and find balance.
  6. The_8th_Wonder

I'm just trying to see if the trend is that women think they have life harder and men think they have life harder for a paper I might right in English honestly... so far I have had very few people who are men think girls have life harder and have very few women who think that men have life harder.
  7. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

everyones just tryin ta be nice, yeah? kick it about awhile and
    somebody'll cough :biggrin:
  8. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

we talkin 'Murikan men and women folk? or more like in a global sense?

I wouldn't have a clue either way. it's got to be a difficult thing to write
    about. I don't envy you but at the same time hats off for tackling such a
    school project. so many variables. foe example I know zilch about Native
    American cultures except one of my brothers married a Navajo Lady.
    the Navajos traditionally were and in some cases still are a matriarchal
    society as opposed to a patriarchal society. who knows if they stick
    to that in the 21st century or if they don't? I'm not much help...sorry.
    as I said, a difficult topic to write about.

I haven't looked at the link yet, but the list(s) of reason why each
    gender allegedly has it harder are kinda stereotypes least
    as far as I can tell.
  9. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

I would say, broadly speaking

- men have a tougher time with working life - more men in upper/middle management, working in agriculture, manufacturing, very specialized areas, very susceptible to economic downturns. Generally speaking men find it harder to get new jobs and/or change career paths altogether, men still work longer hours, cause the wife still gets lumbered with the kids.
    - women have a tougher time with family life - they still do the housework, wipe the babies ass, cook and clean, even when they work full time, leading to a lot of pressure at home, general depression/unhappiness.
    - a greater number of men have more serious mental health issues, one big reason is drug and alcohol abuse. Although women drink like fish as well, they still dont get as violent. Men use hard drugs more. Men also struggle with loneliness more, I feel.
    - i feel women have more to worry about then men when it comes to health, until men get older, but men ignore their problems, women attempt to treat them.
    - according to recent stats in australia, its actually harder for women to find a partner then men...more single women then there are men.
  10. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

Eric makes some good points. is this an elective paper? or is it an
    assignment type thing? if its elective, find something easier to write
    about :wink:
  11. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Just to pick up on a few things, the reason men have a higher suicide rate than women is mainly due to the methods they use to kill themselves.
    Mod's please edit this out if its too descriptive of methods but men are more likely to shoot themselves, jump or hang whereas women are more likely too choose less certain methods such as OD's.

Also, Im not so sure women do have a rate of depression twice as high, men are just not diagnosed as often because they are less willing to seek help.

I also take issue with the appearance shit, it suggests only women can be seen as sex objects as though women have never looked at a man and found them attractive. Im also not sure why its an issue, bloody compliment in my eyes.

And generally speaking women are weaker than men, its a biological fact with few exceptions.
  12. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I find it surprising that people still believe this. It's actually very often the other way around. People (often) turn to drugs and alcohol because they're depressed or have other mental health issues. Then, people who don't know any better see a guy who "drinks like a fish" and also happens to be crazy and they think the alcohol caused it. More likely, he drinks to try and numb himself.

Drugs and alcohol certainly can cause some problems but they usually aren't single-handedly responsible for mental illness.

Occasionally, a person who started out leading a party lifestyle in college or something will eventually crash and burn because of it. But that seems to be the exception. People who really get addicted to alcohol (in particular) seem to do it because (for them) life is too painful to be sober all the time.
  13. special_needs

special_needs Well-Known Member

If you're an ugly woman, you wont be alone. But if you're an ugly man, you wont be so lucky...
    Cause you see ugly women with pretty/normal men. But you dont see the opposite. They are just too selective.
  14. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member What you see is ugly women getting cheated on by pretty/normal men or ugly men getting cheated by pretty/normal women. Both have it the same way, both are equally selective and, in the end, it depends on the individual.
  15. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

exactly, none of that stuff is necessarily true. as Samuel Clemens
    said "there are lies, there are damn lies, and there are statistics"

If I was 8th wonder, I'd write about my summer vacation. which here
    in Phoenix lasts from early March thru mid October. could be a long
    paper :biggrin:
  16. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Men have a higher suicide SUCCESS rate. As I recall, women have more attempts.
  17. The_8th_Wonder

An attempt at suicide is not necessarily an attempt to always take away someones life. I saw that in 95% of suicides attempts an attempt is a way to dramatically change ones life rather than to actually take it away.
  18. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

19. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I think that with each generation the scale swings. Throughout the history of mankind, either sex has had it's moments where one was much better off than the other. Factor in too different religious and ethical beliefs. And I'm sure the debate will rage on far in to the future. What any sex or person has to do is to try to make the best of what they have and to love themself regards of their sex. If we could stress that to our children through the same media that forces them to think they have to look or behave a certain way, you wouldn't need to be writing a paper on the subject.
  20. DrowningInTears

DrowningInTears Well-Known Member

I would say some stuff, but i must bite my tongue. This could turn into a nasty flame war between girls and guys and i don't want to be causing strife between members girls or guys, cant u just discuss the differences without making it into some kind of competition over who has it worse. i dont want to downplay anyones suffering.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.