Giving money to beggars

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by shades, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Do you give money to beggars, homeless people who ask for change, etc...As many of you know, I am not doing very well right now financially. Also, I usually don't dress up to go out and run errands...I wear sweat pants with a very plain shirt. Also, I've got about a 5 day growth of whiskers. So why did I give the equivalent of a euro to a homeless guy? Do any of you do this? Why or why not?
  2. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Yeah, I give money to beggers to get them to leave me alone, it fucks me off that you can see in most peoples eyes or smell on their breath your just funding alcohol and drugs though.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I always give them money..simply because I could one day be in their shoes and I wouldn't like people to ignore me on the street as if I was a stray dog.
  4. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

always yes... no matter how skint i am they are worse off. i am on benefits but try to give at least 10-30% to charity/ people less fortunate, the amount varies per months as to how much i have. and no i don't give a shit what they spend it on lol.. if i were on the streets i would be drinking too just to stay warm...

everytime i go to a shop i wil put a few quid in each collection box, is habit now and people laugh at me cos i do it everytime
    when i was working i use to give a whole lot more but not going to go into that cos i will look like a twat.

i believe it is a persons duty to help another in a worse position,.. that includes drunks, smackheads, animal welfare people, homeless etc. i wish i could do more tho.

there are ways to give even if you dont have a bean.. volunter at a shelter/ soup kitchen.... fundraise.... buy the big issue... cook for someone locally who has no family etc .. take a lonely person to the pub, many ways. i find the world a v unkind place and i guess for me it makes it more bearable. just my opinion
  5. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

no i dont, the amount of them that are scam artists out wiegh the ones that are genuine and even still i'd rather buy them an sandwhich than give money that they will spend on drugs or alchol.

so no i dont
  6. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

Nope, but I'm poor and need that money for booze. I have been given money from a bum though.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2009
  7. Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster Forum Buddy SF Supporter

if i have money, i will

i know they could go out and buy drugs but maybe they spend it wise

its up to them.. i hope they spend it wise
  8. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I use to always give money. Then I moved right next door to the Mission district and never had enough money to give everyone. I do when I can , because I agree with helping people, but sometimes I get really angry when I haven't the money for bills and people ask me for money.

I don't mind if they buy drugs or alcohol. If I was in there situation, I would.
  9. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

If i've got any change I will. I donno, if someone is at that point where they can bring themselves to ask someone else for money.. I donno. I know in individual instances it's enabeling, but sometimes it might not be.
  10. pit

pit Well-Known Member

The elderly ones I give to. The young ones need to get a job or play a fiddle on the street for me to give anything.
  11. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I do. So many beggars are either mentally disabled in some way and have no real support system. I try to think of what would have to happen to me to force me onto the streets begging for change and I really can't judge those people. Besides, they have free will and I have free will. I use my free will to help them out and they can use their free will to buy a hot meal or alcohol or drugs or whatever they want. That's their choice.
  12. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I also give, namely to an organization known as the Homeless Voice, which runs collections, soup kitchens, and the like through non-profit contributions. Many of them stand there for hours collecting paltry donations and facing often rude reactions (as most beggars do).

Contrary to popular belief, most homeless people are either mentally ill or, given current circumstances, victims of economic troubles (in the US the Department of Veteran Affairs estimates nearly 25% are war veterans).
  13. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

We don't have beggars here.

Saw one in Boston once, though.
  14. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I would like to thank EVERYONE who posted here to this point for being honest and ciivl about your answers. I was trying to figure out if I should continue to give, even when I am hurting financially, and ALL of you make good points about it. I amd going to continue to give them what I can, but take a closer look at some of the younger ones who may just be trying to take advantage of a 'nice' guy and simply have no intention of ever trying to do anything other than just beg because there are enough people who are willling to give them money.

Right now...I cant tell one from the other, even though I have my suspicions.

I have been giving to the same guy at the same place for over a year now and came to find out that he's just been lying about his situation to get money. I'm all for helping those truly in need and I don't care if they use it for alcohol. But if they tell me that they are just about ready to get into a shelter or get a job, etc... and then I hear them using a different line on someone else, just to continue to get money...then I will have to reconsider what is going on.

15. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Well, unfortunately, there will always be people out there who try to take advantage of others, and if you know for certain that a particular person is doing just that, then of course I would stop giving to him.

But the bottom line is, if you give to someone who you think needs help, then YOU have done a good thing, period. What they choose to do with your gift after that is on them. We can't control them, but we can control ourselves.

Also, sometimes I try to give things other than money (especially if I might be worried about a scam artist or something). In the winter time, I sometimes clean out my closet and find some sweaters or jackets I don't use and drive around with them in the car. If I see a homeless person who looks cold, I'll give it to them. Or if I go to McDonald's I might order a couple of extra cheeseburgers to hand to someone.

Although, even if I have no cash on me or nothing to give on a certain day, I might just leave my window down and chat them up for a few minutes while I'm waiting at the light. I think probably the hardest thing about being homeless is the horrible stigma attached and the overwhelming lonliness these people feel being pariahs on the fringe of society. Just a short conversation about the day can make a huge difference. I've also noticed that most homeless people I've talked to are psyched to get a few extra cigarettes if you have them :)
  16. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

totally agree with all of this and its nice to know that there is compassion out there for these folks on the streets. no matter the myths . being on the streets is not pleasant and i feel v bad for anyone in that position especially as so many are vunerable.
  17. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Well said Esmeralda! :)
  18. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I always give money to beggars when I can. And I give as much as I can too. They always appreciate it, and what goes around comes around. People could say oh well they'll just spend it on alcohol or whatever. But you know what I'll take my chances!
  19. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I haven't been begged for a while. Last time it happened, I gave the guy ten bucks. I had a roof over my head and he didn't. I didn't miss the ten bucks. I'd have spent it on cigarettes in two days anyway.

I believe in no strings charity. I don't care. I believe everyone has a right to at least eat (Or get drunk or whatever). Even if they're useless and they don't work. They didn't ask to be in the world. We're all here by fate. If I'm in a better situation than they are, it's probably only luck. I could be that guy and I know it. If I'm not gonna miss it, I'm gonna try to help.
  20. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I used to do a soup run along the Thames embankment, met some of the nicest people of my life.
    What it taught me was 'there but for the grace of God go I'
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.