Giving Something Back

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by Melancholy, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

Why does the world not care? I was reduced to tears by my psychology teacher just because she asked me if I was alright. I realised she was the first person to ask that in so long. The first person to actually take an interest in me, in how I felt, not in themselves. So I broke down in front of her, and she didn't probe, she just gave me a hug. A genuine hug. And I realised how long it was since that had happened as well. The same happens here to an extent, and I'm eternally grateful to all who have helped me form here, but it's simply not the same.

I knew she meant it when she said that she cared about how I was. And that means so much to me.

Why can't there be more people like that in the world? Why so egocentric, when such a small gesture can make such a difference?

It hasn't fixed my problems, hell, no-one can, but it gave me a tiny taste of hope that the world isn't all bad. So I tell everyone who has lost that hope to hang on, and start to show that same kindness that my teacher gave to me to others - here and in the real world. Maybe you'll make a difference.

Lauren

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

aww, here's another hug for you :hug: .Yeah, I totally agree with you, it's a shame really that most people don't realise what the tinyiest things like hugs can do for someone else! :hug:

3. BlackPegasus

BlackPegasus Well-Known Member

I guess if it were more common it wouldn't be so special when it does happen. Not to say I wouldn't like it to happen more, but it certainly helps me to appreciate it more since it rarely comes. I remember in high school when I was going through a really hard time and broke down in tears one of my teachers gave me a genuine hug. It totally surprised me and it felt nice to feel like I mattered to someone.

4. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

Thanks Lynn :smile: :hug:

I agree Pegasus, a genuine hug is something special, though that can't be an excuse for not having one! :eek:hmy: On a related note...why can't it be Xmas every day? :tongue:

:hug:

5. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I agree, there is not enough hugs in the world!

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

:hug:

7. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Many hugs in this world are faked and are half hearted, I am glad you felt you had a genuine caring hug from your psychology teacher, she sounds like a lovely person.