giving up alcohol

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by forlorn, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forlorn

forlorn Staff Alumni

Iv'e recently decided to stop drinking. Unfortunately its coincided with a relationship break up, a friend passing away and my daughter cutting again. I'm trying my hardest this time but if anyone has any advice for me it would be nice. Iv'e got my daughter counselling and I'm trying to support her best I can. This has to be the end of my drinking, everything I regret is due to booze, so please help me.
  2. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

WOw, admire you for taking charge of your health.

Do you have an alternative to healing with the stress ?

Dancing is always a nice way to get it all out......
  3. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

What works for me to always IMMEDIATELY associate all the bad things that happened with any thought of alcohol. ALCOHOL IS BAD!!! Should always be screaming in your head. And that means none, never. No, "just one drink" is not O.K. Never. Your last drink was just that, your last one.

And also, watch your pocketbook. It's about to get fuller. Most people have no idea how much money they waste on booze. You're about to have more money to spend on other things. A good motivator.
  4. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

Ken, that is so TRUE! Wonderful note...tsk tsk....more MOOLA
  5. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

Yep. And this is true of all the bad habits. Smoking, drinking, drugs, overeating, etc... If people were to stop and add up how much they were spending on these things every year they would be stunned. It can be thousands of dollars on just ONE of those habits. Imagine how much it is if you do more than one.

I don't make a lot of money but I have none of those habits and watch what I spend in all areas. This puts enough money in my pocket for a much better lifestyle than I used to have. My own house, a decent car, a motorcycle and some money in the bank. I just wish I had learned so much earlier in life.
  6. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I'm also trying to cut down on my drinking Forlorn so I know exactly how you feel right now. Ken was right (hahaha I didn't even realise what I did there), associating everything bad that has happened in your life with the drink will be a good way to get rid of it. Even try AA meetings if need be.
    I am writing a 'drink journal' to remind myself of how everything bad happens when I am drunk, I am hoping whenever I feel like drinking I will remember to go back to it.

Also try and find something else that makes you happy. I can get really lost in TV and movies. You could try something like that?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.