Giving up or doing what is best for me?

Marilyn1962

started a new (well paid) job in the last few months, in that time I’ve became extremely stressed and anxious to the point that I am seeing spots and taking too many Propranolols without realising. I am getting to the point where I’m considering hurting myself so I don’t have to go in. I’ve already scraped their company car (accidentally) and they’re making me drive to a busy city to get it fixed and driving is a massive fear for me. I want it all to stop but so many people will be disappointed in me but this car thing has just tipped me over the edge. I can’t really talk to friends and family because they think I ‘have it so good’ and I also don’t want to worry them. I’ve always had mental health problems but I’m at my limit

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Hi there
I'm sorry that this job has you so stressed out. At the end of the day your mental health is what is most important rather than the job. People having their own thoughts about what you "should" and "shouldn't" be doing for work are worthless if you want to hurt yourself rather than show up. No one wants that. They don't have to understand -- they only have to accept it.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
As Katy Perry would say, acceptance is the key to being truly free.

Your life is worth more than a stressful job driving you to suicide.

Do what is best for you. If that means quitting the job then do so.

You are obviously in a lot of pain and distress, take a step back and think on this, sleep on it at least. Don't make any rash decisions right now while feeling unstable.

Wait until tomorrow and you know what? Do not give a crap what others think, you're beyond that, they don't have the pressure of being in your shoes, do what is best for you, absolutely :) It is hard to ignore family at times but sometimes we have to for our own well being. You do what's best for you and you'll get a less stressful job afterwards, it will work out, you just cannot see that now 'cos you are so low, SF is here for you :)

Last edited:

Marilyn1962

Hi there
I'm sorry that this job has you so stressed out. At the end of the day your mental health is what is most important rather than the job. People having their own thoughts about what you "should" and "shouldn't" be doing for work are worthless if you want to hurt yourself rather than show up. No one wants that. They don't have to understand -- they only have to accept it.
Thank you, it's such a relief to hear someone say that I do have a choice, that I don't have to just 'put up and shut up which is what I'm mostly getting atm

Marilyn1962

As Katy Perry would say, acceptance is the key to being truly free.

Your life is worth more than a stressful job driving you to suicide.

Do what is best for you. If that means quitting the job then do so.

You are obviously in a lot of pain and distress, take a step back and think on this, sleep on it at least. Don't make any rash decisions right now while feeling unstable.

Wait until tomorrow and you know what? Do not give a crap what others think, you're beyond that, they don't have the pressure of being in your shoes, do what is best for you, absolutely :) It is hard to ignore family at times but sometimes we have to for our own well being. You do what's best for you and you'll get a less stressful job afterwards, it will work out, you just cannot see that now 'cos you are so low, SF is here for you :)
Thank you for your lovely words, you're right in that I shouldn't care what people think but it's just so tough when I have such low self esteem. Thanks for being so understanding

MosesY

Recovering Alcoholic
SF Supporter
I am sorry you are going through this. I believe every job has stress attached but you have to decide if you can find a job with less stress. I do not believe it is worth any amount of money to go to a job you hate; life is too short for this. You know where your passion is. I am going in to work for 4 hours today and will have a grand time. I am a cabinetmaker. You probably earn as much money in a day as I do in a week. On the other hand I am working a job I love and you are working a job that causes large amounts of stress. Take this into consideration when you make goals for your life; is your job worth it?

lightning05

I literally just quit a job a couple of weeks ago for the same reason. Panic attacks, overwhelming thoughts of self harm, even started to become a little suicidal. I have been struggling with work for years and it's been shit, so I also worried that people will judge me because the job I just quit was well-paying but man, did it stress me the hell out.

Money is not worth sacrificing your health. I have sacrificed my health for jobs in the past and it has almost killed me. You have to do what's best for you. There's so much social pressure to implode for a paycheck its ridiculous.

neutralbuoyancy

stuck in place yet again
started a new (well paid) job in the last few months, in that time I’ve became extremely stressed and anxious to the point that I am seeing spots and taking too many Propranolols without realising. I am getting to the point where I’m considering hurting myself so I don’t have to go in. I’ve already scraped their company car (accidentally) and they’re making me drive to a busy city to get it fixed and driving is a massive fear for me. I want it all to stop but so many people will be disappointed in me but this car thing has just tipped me over the edge. I can’t really talk to friends and family because they think I ‘have it so good’ and I also don’t want to worry them. I’ve always had mental health problems but I’m at my limit
may be you can see if you can call a Uber driver who can drive you both there to drop the car off and another uber or taxi to take you both back

LOSTINSIGHT

I pushed it too far with work ,my EGO insisted i work for the wrong reasons .14 months later i can barely get off the couch ,,i ruminate with what if i just paid attention before it was too late .
Follow your gut instinct because believe me its torture when you go over that edge .
Im Not saying itl happen to you but high end anxiety is very serious ,itl ware you out eventually ,its not something that you can just will yourself through .
Peace .

Marilyn1962

I am sorry you are going through this. I believe every job has stress attached but you have to decide if you can find a job with less stress. I do not believe it is worth any amount of money to go to a job you hate; life is too short for this. You know where your passion is. I am going in to work for 4 hours today and will have a grand time. I am a cabinetmaker. You probably earn as much money in a day as I do in a week. On the other hand I am working a job I love and you are working a job that causes large amounts of stress. Take this into consideration when you make goals for your life; is your job worth it?
I dont believe that it's worth it, but my parents definitely do and they will be so disappointed in me

Marilyn1962

I literally just quit a job a couple of weeks ago for the same reason. Panic attacks, overwhelming thoughts of self harm, even started to become a little suicidal. I have been struggling with work for years and it's been shit, so I also worried that people will judge me because the job I just quit was well-paying but man, did it stress me the hell out.

Money is not worth sacrificing your health. I have sacrificed my health for jobs in the past and it has almost killed me. You have to do what's best for you. There's so much social pressure to implode for a paycheck its ridiculous.
I've been rhe same way, I've had a few jobs where I've just quit because I couldn't stand the stress. I'm worried that I will never find a job that doesn't make me so miserable

Marilyn1962

I pushed it too far with work ,my EGO insisted i work for the wrong reasons .14 months later i can barely get off the couch ,,i ruminate with what if i just paid attention before it was too late .
Follow your gut instinct because believe me its torture when you go over that edge .
Im Not saying itl happen to you but high end anxiety is very serious ,itl ware you out eventually ,its not something that you can just will yourself through .
Peace .
I think I am going to leave, I just can't be this unhappy for much longer

LOSTINSIGHT

I think I am going to leave, I just can't be this unhappy for much longer
Hi Marilyn1962.
My post was to warn you ,not to freak you out .if you can find a job like that one you can easily find one with less stress and be able to appreciate your health and life ,,im an extreme case ,please dont compare to me.
I presume you mean ,your leaving the job ?.
Peace.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Reading through this thread, I can only echo what's already been said, - do what's right for you, not what other's may think. End of the day, it's your life, your health and that should always take precedence.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00