giving up solid food

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Locket, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

do you think it's possible?
    i mean, still having soups and yoghurt and liquid food
    but not solid food...
    does anyone know if it damages your digestive system in any way?

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

It is possible,the cambridge diet consists of only liquid food and drink. I don't know how safe it is :hug:

3. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

not the greatest idea. what's the goal? anyway, you can incorporate
    a vast amount of liquid foods to your diet. it's great. juices, soups,
    etc..btw, yoghurt is not a liquid food. neither is milk.

but you need real food too. admittedly, you need a lot less than most
    of us eat. myself included. most Americans and likely most western
    countries have problems with people eating too much. and eating the wrong
    stuff.

but ya needs some solid food, doncha know.

if you want an intersting website about diets, google heathers tummy fiber
    and you'll find heathers website about IBS. it's really very interesting.

4. blue shoes

blue shoes Well-Known Member

I did that once for 2 weeks (only water, juices, and coffee). I didn't really lose weight with it and I had a REALLY hard time getting back on solid food.
    I don't really recommend it.

5. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

it's not really to lose weight... i've been fasting over the past couple of weeks so i've already lost quite a bit, but i've just started introducing food back into my diet and i keep putting on weight (expected), so i thought i'd go on a juice diet or something similar

thanks for the "yoghurt and milk aren't liquids" thing lol... i thought that but wasn't sure.
    just wanted to see if i did it for an extended period of time (say a month and a half)... would my digestive system be damaged in any way? or would just need adjusting again?

6. d-pressed

d-pressed Well-Known Member

Really not a good idea. It would be very difficult to adjust again, and it just doesn't make sense. It's not healthy. Why don't you see a nutritionist who can help you work out a suitable diet for you to stick to.

7. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

well if you think about it, it does make sense, because it restricts my calories, plus only really allows me to intake unprosessed, good food like vegetables.. this helps my body adjust to eating again and sorts out my metabolism, without putting weight back on.
    i have a nutritionist... my mum. and i'd rather not be bothering any of my family with my 'food issues' because they pretty much all know i have an eating disorder and just get annoyed with me if i suggest something because it's 'not normal'.
    thanks though.

8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

yeah you can really get your nutrition that way if you're mixing things up. good luck. although i'd get sick of it personally after a while. but i've been making soup recently (loads of vegetables/lentils/tomatoes) and it's yummy and great but i need to eat that with loads of bread otherwise i'm starving.

a month and a half is a long time though. yeah, you'd mess up your digestive system i think and you'd be hungry. because you wouldn't be getting carbohydrate. i went for months without carbohydrate and it really isn't a good idea..:unsure:

:hug::smile:

9. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

there are carbohydrates in the soup you know... beans and pulses and stuff are good sources of carbs and protein (i'm pretty much a vegan anyway, i just eat eggs occasionally to help my stomach and stuff) so i know it's possible and you can get a nutritional and balanced diet from it...
    i'm just wondering about the physicality of the food. if it's liquid my digestive system has nothing to work against.. nothing to break down, so it make work overtime or something when i start introducing solid foods into my diet again... or maybe, because it has less to break down in my stomach, it might produce less stomach acid which might cause problems when i go back to solid food....
    i should really just ask a doctor shouldn't i...

10. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

i think if your starting to wonder about the toll this is taking on your body then maybe you should see a doctor as it could be affecting your stomach in some way as you are probably right when it comes to your concerns about going back to solid food. a doctor could tell you what is the best way to go about things and maybe help you with your nutrition.

11. d-pressed

d-pressed Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't make sense. It's not balanced, you know it's not, hence why you don't want to talk to anyone about it because you know they will tell you otherwise, and you obviously want people to tell you here that's it's okay.

Believe me, I not only know what it's like to live on liquids (this wasn't out of my own free will), and I have lived with eating disorder patients including one of my very dear friends who was on the brink of death when I first met her.

Please ask yourself;do you want to overcome this eating disorder, or are you just looking for ways to cover it up? To me, it seems the latter is your objective at the moment. I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee.

12. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I meant complex starchy carbs.

But I ain't a doc. Good luck with it all.

13. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

thanks for the replies everyone
    ... made me think

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.