Giving up

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by hammockmonkey, May 13, 2009.

1. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

I just can't do it okay? I'm not smart enough, I don't work hard enough, I don't care enough to finish my degree okay? I'm fine with not having one, with being nothing but a highschool grad with some college education.

2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

It's okay! I've been there. I graduated high school and went to college; but I didn't want to be there, and my grades showed it. It wasn't that I'm not smart enough ... I just didn't want it bad enough.

You have to do what's best for you. If you really WANT a degree, then you should keep trying, because you can do it. But if you don't, if now just isn't the right time, that's okay too. You don't have to have one.

3. hammockmonkey

Is it okay to be drinking when you have a test you've not studied for? I'm sorry I tell everyone that one course is all I need! I'm retarded ... OKAY FUCKING RETARD I CAN"T DO THIS WORK. I'm too drunk to think straight. I'm sorry but I know that my failures are my own. It was a concious choice to drink instead of study.

4. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I did the same thing in college. I did a lot more drinking than I did studying or going to class.

Yeah, you did make the conscious decision to drink; so did I. But that doesn't make you a retard.

I know there isn't much I can say to fix things. But I also know some of what you're going through because I went through it too. So if you ever feel like talking, you can PM me anytime.

5. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Well drinking or not you have to decide what will ultimately make you happy. If you want that degree then you have to buckle down and give it your all. If you dont then let it go. If getting a degree that you really dont want or need is causing you so much grief that you call yourself retarted then let it go. It isnt really worth it hun. All I have is a highschool education, I'm 45 and I've made it through life so far. It sounds like you are working on getting this degree to make someone else happy. Your happiness is much more important. So quit trying to live the "American dream" and live your own. Do what is in the end going to be the very best for you.

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Great post Carla :clap:

Hammock, is there a reason why you're drinking so much?

7. hammockmonkey

I drink because I don't know what else I can do. I hate people around people, and I'm afraid when I'm alone. I like the closeness I feel when I read and understand, and I like the interactions with professors and other students when i speak. I like to feel afraid and want people to validate or criticizes my arguments and statements.

Basically? I'm so focused on me I can't see anyone else around me, ever. I want to just work and live awhile as me and find them when I'm ready.

8. Samsara

Samsara Well-Known Member

You can put it on haitus, no biggy. But you got to college, you are obviously smart enough to finish your degree. All it takes is a little courage and some elbow greese :)