Glluten and Health Problems

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Chargette, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I listened to the Gluten-Summit online a couple of weeks ago. I listened to 27 hours of the 29 hours of interviews while it was free to do so.

The recent research studies show that modern wheat gluten (older wheat was very different) is impacting our health including mental health. In these interviews, I heard about the impact on depression and schizophrenia.

Suggested reading is "Grain Brain" by Perlmutter and/or "Wheat Belly" by Davis.

I myself have reduced gluten a lot because I'm seeking to bring down my blood sugar and weight. My mother did this a couple of years ago and went from 186 pounds down to 116 pounds. Gluten is addictive and withdrawal is uncomfortable but I found that a sliver of real butter in hot tea, cocoa, or coffee stops a food craving. We've had a healthy menu plan for some years now but I couldn't stop my cravings for junk food made from wheat products and I would binge on them. At present, I have a small portion of pasta two nights a week and I have reduced sandwiches to one or two a week.

Here's a link to an article that discusses the addictive effects of gluten. http://www.kriskris.com/wheat-heroin-morphine/

Anyway, with all this stated: Have you taken a look at gluten before and what do think about the information that is now comming out?

2. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

I am planning to pretty much cut it out as well, the problem is most of the stuff my family eats has gluten, pasta, bread, cereal etc. Think im going to try to go to more of an eastern food type stuff with lots of rice. Rice is gluten free im pretty sure, and most oatmeal I think. Its hard to replace when youve been eating something for so long, I have a feeling it will help my health and hopefully my physical pain as well.

3. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I was gluten free for years. Recently I started eating it only when I get free samples at costco. i am not alergic to it. So the tiny bit doesnt make a difference in how I feel. Because I do not have Celiac. I honestly do not think that gluten is healthy for anyone. I signed up for the gluten summit. But I never listened to it. I do not eat sugar.

Ravens, it is a difficult transition. But maybe you can give it a test run for a month and see if you feel better. There are a lot of great crackers out there that are gluten free. And some really good gluten free websites these days. There is rice pasta thats not bad. although rice spagetti is not so good. As i said, you might give it a trial run and see if it makes a difference. It might be an interesting thing to start a thread for people who actually are gluten free. exchange info.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  4. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I found out that I am allergic to it. But i got to do a test so I had to restart eating it, and that was so painful. Tomorrow I pass the blood test and then I can go back to gluten free. I agree about the weight thing. Gluten makes me swell, it gives me wave of heat, headaches, bowel problems (very violent and painful) I get allergy bumps...for me it's really bad....

and when it's been a few months you haven't eaten gluten, you feel so much better...at least for me it did...

I will check out the links you provided thanks :)

5. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I agree that gluten is one of many harmful ingredients that we eat. But I also believe that there is more to it. For instance:
    The chemicals in our food, water, and cleaning aids. Our systems are constantly being attacked daily. This has to have some effect on us mentally.
    The choices we make in our diets also affect our whole system.
    In fact there are many interesting articles that state we are extremely low in many minerals and nutrients that our bodies need. We are completely deficient in most of them. Vitamin D is a huge one. Without it we cannot absorb other vitamins that we desperately need.
    I am sure that we can all agree that our whole system is connected. Then when we add drugs, or alcohol that is just more poison to an already vulnerable system. I read labels on my food. I do so for religious reasons, but I was horrified to find that pork is the least of my problems. Please check out your food when you shop.
    It's all tied together and its an eye opener to why there are so many diseases and illnesses in this life.

6. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I agree with Daphna that gluten is only one of many harmful ingredients we eat. I mostly eat unprocessed food to stay away from most of the bad stuff that is added to our food today.

I've learned that animal fats from quality meat (no bologna or hot dogs) has vitamin d in it. Also the brain prefers fats for fuel over carbs and sugar, but uses the sugars first.

I've been adding a thin slice of butter to at least 1 cup of coffee a day to stop cravings for carbs and it has helped a lot. In this way, I'm eating less carbs and my body is starting to burn the excess stored fat. I don't weigh again until I go to the doctor in January, but I've dropped a half inch around my middle. The best part is my blood sugar is now consistently below 150.

7. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I just noticed a promo of Dr Oz show. On Monday Dec 9 he is doing a show on Gluten. I am not a fan of the show. But I did program my DVR to record it.

8. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Thanks Chargette! Good for you in your new diet! Caffeine isn't good for you either. I had to give that up. It affected my anger and anxiety. Chocolate was my big caffeine source. But there are healthy substitutes: carob, and white chocolate. Drink plenty of water! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.