Gluten for or against it?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by morning rush, Jan 12, 2011.

?

do you think gluten is good or bad for you?

1. good

20.0%
  2. bad

50.0%
  3. other (write what it is in a post below)

30.0%
  1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I'm seeing all those gluten free stuff and so I was reading that gluten is the sort of glue produced when making wheat, rye and barley breads and sorts....but some of what I read seem to insinuate its bad for you, while others say its good...of course if you have coliac disease then you're supposed to avoid it...

but I was just curious, anyone eats gluten free? have you noticed good effects, bad effects? anyone against gluten free diets for normal people? any thoughts?

2. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

There are only two established medical reasons to avoid gluten- if you have celiac disease or the celiac-linked dermatitis herpetiformos. A person without either disorder may feel better on a gluten free diet- I tried a low gluten diet once and felt better. Avoiding gluten is very hard to do though and gluten free products can be very expensive.

3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

yes I know...and I mean gluten is everywhere even in your toothpaste, stamps glue on the back...but I heard that some studies showed that people who avoided gluten got really fat because the gluten free product are high in fat or sugar....

4. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I eat gluten-free pancakes and potato chips. Know a couple of people who went gluten-free and actually lost weight. But I would think in the long-run that it's, like most foods, a good thing in moderation.

Also, these are extremely good. http://www.foodshouldtastegood.com/#/home/