gluten free diet?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by morning rush, Jul 29, 2013.

1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I've decided to remove gluten/wheat from my diet because I've suffered from a lot of inflammation and stomach problems like irritable bowel...so I will do that for about 4 weeks, and then try one day eating gluten to see what happens...if nothing happens then I'm not allergic to it but if I react then I will know it's that...

anyone else on a gluten free diet? How are you coping?

I'm very picky so I'm nervous that I won't get to eat anything since gluten is everywhere even in pills...I'll have to ask my pharmacist if my pills have gluten in it...

2. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

I was trying a low gluten diet but I failed because i eat junk food like pastries when im sad lol. Im going to try again though. I made a few days and think i felt a little better though. It really hard to stick to it with the western diet too seems like all the popular foods have it. Let me know how it works out for you.

3. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

I have a niece on a gluten free diet - but I don't really know enough about it in order to suggest much. You can find gluten free bread - although that's usually more costly than standard loaves - as for anything else I'd be internet researching.

4. morning rush

problem is I live in quebec and so there aren't as many variety as in the states...I will look though for gluten free bread...I know they have at the health food store..or I can simply make my own with other flours....

ravens: I know what you mean. I usually love chips and I found out there is wheat in them :( so now I gotta find snacks that don't have wheat...I saw recipes for roasted edamame...so I might try stuff like that...

5. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Yeah that damn comfort food is hard to stop eating lol. Im going to try to start again tomorrow to eat as little of it as possible and replace it with healthier foods. I hear once people get in the habit of eating healthier then they begin to crave the healthy foods anot not even want junk food so we just need to give the body some time to adjust. Easier said than done though

6. morning rush

I know right...

oh really? that's encouraging, if I can start craving healthy foods instead of the bad food that would be awesome.

I know that sometimes I try soemthing and don't like it, so I wait a few days and try it again and sometimes I end up liking it...like my mouth needs time to adjust to the taste...weird eh?

7. morning rush

omg the hardest thing to do is walk in a store with all your favorite food that have gluten and having to walk away...I felt like I was mourning the loss of my foods...weird eh?

8. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Definitely. Maybe after you are off gluten for a while try just eating it once a week and see if you still feel good with that? That would be tough with gluten food in the cupboard the other 6 days just to look at though lol

9. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Morning Rush, how did gluten free diet go. Did it help your IBS. Thanks.

10. morning rush

Yes it did stop my IBS, I can eat in the morning and go out without the worry or pain of doing it in my pants because I can't find a bathroom in a hurry so...and lots of other good things happened too so I totally recommend not eating gluten to people.

ravens: I tried eating gluten once in a while but I ended up having cramps and other bad stuff so now I don't eat any at all. I am sad but it's for my health so...

11. SillyOldBear

Thanks Morning Rush. I will try again. (I just bought some cookies today) I am tired of the pain and extended bathroom time, and carrying a change of clothes with me. But I love everything with gluten. lol Guess I should think Atkins Diet, somewhat modified to include good carbs.

12. morning rush

I know what you mean, it's so hard to go gluten free, because gluten is in EVERYTHING! even meat...you can't win. But I just made some rice crispies chocolate cookies...well not really cookies more like chocolate, peanut butter and rice crispies...it's pretty simple to make too...

13. Jackie's Strength

Jackie's Strength Staff Alumni

Honestly, going gluten-free, once you get used to it a bit, is not that bad - you stop feeling the deprivation after you realize all you can eat. The healthiest way of going gluten-free is eating all the foods that are naturally gluten-free (which are healthiest to eat anyways)... that said, there are gluten-free breads, pasta, and yes - even chips! - out there. If you haven't yet try "Kettle" brand chips... they are my guilty pleasure, and have no gluten, no preservatives, no MSG, no trans fat, and no artificial colours or flavours. From what I've read gluten is actually not good for anyone... because our bodies simply weren't designed to consume it. Meat is naturally gluten-free... as long as it is fresh and does not have anything added to it - it is the additives in general that are the culprit. That said, unless you have a really serious problem like Celiac disease, eating a little gluten every now and then is not a big deal... so I wouldn't worry so much about the "hidden" gluten at first... I'd suggest focusing on eliminating all the obvious gluten and then moving from there... that way it won't be so overwhelming. Best of luck, and good to see someone else doing the gluten-free thing!

14. morning rush

actually depends on what the animals were fed, some are fed corn while others are fed grains (which includes wheat) like sausages and hot dogs contain gluten. And sandwich meat contains gluten as well. Also I eat nuts but depending on who packages them, they might be contaminated by wheat (gluten) so it's really hard to get non contaminated stuff at the food store, the best is going to a health food store but that is expensive.

I agree that if you eat less processed food, then there are big chances that there aren't any gluten in them, like fruits and veggies. I have a hard time eating veggies. I try but it's really hard when I don't like a lot of them...still...

it's not as bad as it was in the beginning. It's when I go out, that's hard because I don't like salad so...eating in restaurants can be challenging...

15. SillyOldBear

I bought some gluten free stuff. The corn bread is good. The crackers, not so great. Have not tried the pasta, or pizza crust yet.

Need to research the topic a bit. Like is gluten only in wheat, rye, and barley. Of course there is wheat in tons of stuff. Need to see if there is an on-line supplier where I can get stuff cheaper. Health food store is EXPENSIVE.

Jack LaLanne, the fitness guru, said just eat things man has not altered. Fresh fruit, veggies, meat etc. No gluten there. And better for you.

16. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

I totally endorse giving up the gluten - been doing this (except for a few cheats every now and then) for 2 years now, and it's made the world of difference to how I feel. Have also given up dairy - (except for a few cheats now and then!) - as in cow's milk (there are good substitutes), cheese, cream, ice-cream etc. But do have the acidophilus yoghurt because that is very good for the gut. Have lost at least 14lbs in weight, something I thought was impossible. Can't remember the last time I got sick with a cold.

Menu: Breakfast - oats porridge with additions of stuff bought in health stores (ancient grains)+ apple and banana & yoghurt; mid-morning and afternoon snacks of fruit as an energy burst; lunch (main meal) - stir-fried (braised really, with just a little olive oil to start the onions, then carrots, then add boiling water + veggie stock, then add whatever other veggies you like) - with either some fish or casseroled meat & beans; then tea-time is either home-made sushi (without sugar) or sardines - and there are always rice-crackers to munch on if need be.

Have got so used to feeling great eating this way - I know that the cheating times are not really worth it now - and so they are decreasing - but overall, have stopped food from being an issue like it used to be :)

17. morning rush

yeah some might be not so good, you got to try different brands. For me it took a while to find the right gluten free pizza. I like the one from maison cannelle. Also bread depends on the brand as well so does pasta, some pasta are not as good. Corn pasta is good, I like it alot...quinoa pasta not so much, or amaranth either, buckwheat either...

gluten is in wheat, rye, barley, and it can contaminate oats, which is always better to get oats that are gluten free....read the labels, it will tell you if there's chances of wheat in the product...chicken broths tend to have gluten but a few don't...sauces tend to have gluten, ketchup has gluten...

yeah I try to eat food that hasn't been altered...but it's hard...I don't like veggies much so...

18. morning rush

wow that's really cool. Yeah sometimes I cheat but I always pay for it. I get bad cramps and diarrhea etc which gives me pain. watch the oats for contamination...

I also try not have so much dairy, but I tend to have lactose free stuff which I enjoy. My biggest problem is sugar intake, I need to not have so much.

19. SillyOldBear

Oh man. Sugar. I can't stay away from it. The soda pop!!!! I would be rich if I didn't buy it all the time!

Not sure what brand of corn bread I bought. Pizza crust is in the kitchen and am too lazy to check brand but appreciate hearing what you like. Also not sure about pasta type I bought. I picked up three, including one mac and cheese.

Man made is generally bad for us. But what is man made. Who knows what your beef has been fed, who knows what was sprayed on veggies and fruit, who knows what chickens were fed? I guess we should just stop eating!!! But that could be really hard on the health.

20. Jackie's Strength

Jackie's Strength Staff Alumni

Interesting information on meat morning rush. I've been buying organic chicken lately from Costco (where it's cheapest), and grass-fed ground beef. I did some research on all the different labels and apparently apart from buying directly from a farmer (at a farmer's market, for instance), the best is grass-fed, as the animals are free to roam and feed as they usually would. Free-range can be deceiving as all the animals may have access to is a bit of grass.

As for pasta, I find the best to be brown rice pasta. It has a really good texture and is not sticky like other pastas - I particularly love Tinkyada brown rice pasta.

I too have trouble with lactose, and I just recently found out that there is often a relationship between the two... apparently when you have a problem with gluten yet still eat it, it erodes your intestine, including the part that processes lactose. So, even though you may not actually have a problem with lactose, because of the eroded intestine, you end up having problems with lactose too - at least until your body can regenerate the tissue.

To avoid the sprays and pesticides and genetic modification and hormones and such, I do my best to buy organic... it takes some shopping around at first but it is possible on a budget if you're committed to it - I can attest to that!