God Complex/ Controlling People...

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Anam_Cara, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anam_Cara

Anam_Cara Well-Known Member

im opening a can of worms on this topic probably but i had an epiphany yesterday afternoon that shifted my perception quite a bit..

i have been pondering for a long time what it is that drives people to control others or another.. what it is that they get out of the act of exerting their will over another as a means of repressing, censoring, or controlling another? for years ive debated that in my mind, and yesterday the metaphorical lightbulb lit up...

those who control HAVE no control over their own person, life, or situations...

It dawned on me that it's very much like a pair of toddlers both gripping a toy and saying MINE!!! one child (control freaks/ family members /forum moderator/politicians/those bent on world domination) tries to wrench power (the toy) away from the other child and a tug of war begins.. WHY? because neither child has control of the object they are fighting over.. i truly believe that people who seek power do so because they have none to begin with, or else why would they seek it? Unless they have a God complex..

those that have power do not feel the need to flex their muscles to prove it.. like the saying those that talk about it don't have it or aren't getting it.. if someone is bragging about their power either they have a God complex or have none.. but the motivation underneath deep down in the core of our mind and soul? perhaps that person who feels the need to control, manipulate, or play God over another truly is just a very insecure child who feels the need to control another so he feels he has control of something... like the child with the toy playing tug of war... if he had control of the toy in the first place there would be no need to over compensate by trying to wrench it from another, there would be NO resistance...

perhaps we never fully outgrow some of our childish tendancies... to a toddler it is immensely important that they have their "personal" power.. i think it really has to do with the way we as humans live our lives.. subservient to employers, bills, even our clock, everywhere we look someone or something has control of some aspect of our lives.. i guess when i start to view it that way i can understand how some individuals might feel powerless and revert to the childish instinct to grasp for their toy.. or their power...

and let me add that i am talking about bullies, people obsessed with power, i.e, control freaks and those on God complex trips... they pop up everywhere ive seen it within my family, in other's families, in public figures, and forum moderators for example :rolleyes: anywhere where individuals can exert power over some facet of another's life...

just my thoughts for the day...

2. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Interesting how you included 'forum moderators' in with people on a power trip. In my experience, the moderators have been pretty good to me. They have to do what's best for this site for the good of all members, and sometimes, that means sensoring posts or banning members etc. I think you make a good point about controlling people acting like children. They can't control their own life, so they try to control yours. We human beings are selfish by nature, and I suppose that you have to be to some extent to survive.

3. .........

......... Guest

Hi, I agree with the main part of what you're saying. People who do control or create an unhealthy dependence do lack a lot of whatever they are craving in their own life. Either they use people as that object or money or their 'care' "I love you, you owe me a lot." It can be anxiety related.

Like you say, a lot of people are living lives where a lot is out of their control (their work, their family situation)- they might feel out of control in whatever part of their life and then use people/whatever as something to dominate over- to calm their fears or create a false image perhaps of saviour.

As for childish instinct- I do think adults are generally grown up children and are pushed into a world where they do feel helpless- which can bring out different ways of dealing with their situation- for example- a person can be 'childish' be open to experiences, be receptive, be open to change, have a lot of imagination- and that can be a very powerful tool for growing up and dealing with life and harsh experiences thrown at them.

And power doesn't necessarily mean something destructive. There's healing power, there's power that is like taking a deep breath that actually makes you feel alive, and there's power that can cause a lot of fear. There's power in everything around naturally, if you actually connect with that and use it well.

Also if within a certain social circle, exerting power in the way you describe is validated and not questioned- then it all becomes normal. ie, it becomes normal for a woman to work herself to death, be a bank, and then use this as grotesque emotional abuse on others around her, cause countless guilt trips and then hail herself as some kind of matriarchical saint. And yeah, I know what you mean about forum moderators. I've never been one to want to have power in the way you described- which may be why I'm absolutely terrified of getting into a relationship with anyone as I am naturally, 'needy' (starved) for love, and the situations I get myself into isn't the best examples of things and makes me confused/worried I'll turn out into a controlling abusive person when actually is the others who have been fucking around with my mind.

Anyway, good post.

4. Anam_Cara

Anam_Cara Well-Known Member

Dave_N yes i included forum moderators for a good reason.. i have been online and visiting forums for years now and every forum ive been to in that time has shown to some degree mods that enjoy their position of power.. ive even been a mod on a few forums one of which i made the mistake of having a wee bit of a God complex myself... so dont get your knickers in a twist...

im speaking of even myself in that post.. i realized that even i have issues with wanting to control situations because i myself lack it... ive become that toddler saying MINE more than once...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.