God: does he exist?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Kaos General, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Well this goes out to all the religious members, show me proof as to how god exists.

2. black_rose_99

black_rose_99 Well-Known Member

I'm not religious, but I think there's a part of me that wants to believe in something. So I have a tendency to put out a prayer to God (because I have no other name to give it) when I feel lowest of low. But I want to see results, so usually test "him" (which I'm told is not on - but I can't just believe something from thin air.) Anyway, the last time I prayed, I ended up losing my best friends and being evicted, so to me, that was proof enough that there's nothing there.

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Not so religous anymore but just look around you and see the beauty there is that is how i see God sometimes

4. Isabel

Isabel Staff Alumni

God cant be proved or disproved. That's why when people believe, its called Faith, not trust. Trust is based on concrete experiences.
    The fact is that many people chose to have Faith despite any solid evidences and it seems to make their life richer.

I am of the school that if it works for you, by all means, believe in God.

Probably not the answer you would like but the best I can think of.

5. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

6. A1231988

A1231988 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if a greater power exists or not. However, I do know that if it does, it doesn't have any particular interest in humans. The thing I find most absurd about most religions is that they think God is specifically concerned with humans, more so than anything else in the entire universe. If God does exist, then God just is, that's all. We're no more important to God or the universe than any other star dust out there. There are countless galaxies, each with billions of stars, most of which have orbiting planets. I personally find it extremely foolish and ignorant to assume that this unfathomably large universe is just for us.

The idea that God designed a heaven and hell specifically for us is so unbelievably retarded that it shakes my faith in humanity. Absurdities like that are just things that humans come up with so they don't have to worry about not existing. I am in 100% agreement with science on everything, but I do not rule out the possibility of some greater power governing the creation of the universe. If you look at the Big Bang theory, it basically says that all of the energy in the entire universe instantly came from nothing. It's kind of hard to wrap your mind around that idea without coming to the conclusion that there must be something more. As I said, though, I have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011
  7. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

God was created in the image of man. I need not say more.

:)

PS - I don't believe in organized religion. There's no point worshipping something that can't save you from the one reality of life: death(and possibly including the pathetic annoyances of other humans).

8. NoMoneyToPlease

NoMoneyToPlease Banned Member

To you he obviously does,because you're talking about him.

Kinda pwned yourself there my friend.

9. nolonger

Lol no I don't :p. I was just 'altering' the quote that 'man was created in the image of god'. It's the other way around, 'we' made god. He's like the main character in the bible. It's not an insteresting story imo, lol.

Im surprised they even managed to get it published :rolleyes:

10. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I think it's about time Religion changed their thinking. Yes, scriptures specifically say that every word is the word of God and to change it would be sacrilege (or something), but I think we can all agree that leaving a malfunctioning system the way it is just because you are told to isn't the smartest of attitudes.

It's not even that the main complaint is "but X was written thousands of years ago! People didn't know back then what we know now!". It's simply about rethinking certain things. Maybe the story of Noah's Ark was just a simple explanation for animal breeding/Nature, and people decided to dress it up to captivate the listeners or turn it into a story for their children. Maybe Jesus and Moses were simply wise and insightful men who gained celebrity, and the ones who were intelligent enough to recognize how valuable their advice was felt the need to add some spice to the stories so that the wisdom didn't go forgotten. Maybe the 2 simply reached celebrity status and people just started making up information, saying that they totally knew them before they got famous. Farfetched, I know.

Maybe, different religions have figured out certain things about life and the correct way for people to treat each other/act, and the problem is that they all refuse to collaborate on their ideas to form a bigger picture.

Maybe the fact that many major religions practice and preach empathy and humbleness and other good human traits proves that humans can be altogether decent and kind and generally pleasant, and we could decide to call that good naturedness 'God' and it wouldn't be such a terrible and blasphemous idea. (Especially since such a divine figure would have concrete real world proof of it's existence.)

I realize that this is the age of Science and Reason, and that our mighty brains are too mighty to sincerely consider that we can all be wrong about something that seems so right, but I think its safe to say that resistance of new ideas because of the resistance of others isn't the best way to learn or develop.

11. NoMoneyToPlease

No LongRroad :) I was talking to Chuck Noraise. (sorry chuck,*giggles*) ;)

There don't seem to be any christians around to answer so I thought I would play the lords advocate.

Teh bible is a wonderful book.It doesn't contain wizards or demons or crazy magical happenings and strange creatures,unlike those Harry Potter books.

It's a good healthy read for a good healthy mind.

12. Isabel

Isabel Staff Alumni

I think any scientists, if they are honest, even just to themselves, must admit there are enough gaps in our understanding of the universe to leave some space for mystery. Maybe some form of personal spirituality is there to fill the gap. So far, science and technology, while they have increase our power over the material world, do not seem to have made us much happier.

13. nolonger

But it's too boring! I don't get all that interested by talking snakes and flaming bushes. And old men parting oceans.

I'd much rather watch a spider monkey chase a dog around, on youtube. :blink: lol.

With and increase in knowledge comes an increase in pain perception.(That's somewhat altered, I can't remember the exact quote but it basically states that the more information we can acquire the more pain etc we will 'endure')

14. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Even if that article wasn't based on a false assertion (That there was any choice at all in the current model of quantum mechanics) then it still wouldn't be relevant. It in no way would prove God.

15. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree, and hope that scientists keep this mindset. I was referring more to the general agreement that because everything is about science these days, there is no longer any place for religious, spiritual or philosophical ideas (2012/Doomsday aside).

Of course, I can't see how the whole world operates, and I am merely going by media and internet discussion.

16. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

i actually disagree, science and the resulting technology has made us much happier than we were for example say in the 15th century.
    Only due to the fact the technology we have at our consumer level is cheap enough to make.
    Science would go much further and create a better world if we were allowed to practice free science (not de-regulated.)
    So much science has been stopped in its tracks due to politics.
    Free science and put more investment in our future scientists!

17. Dying To Live

Dying To Live Member

I've been studying near death experiences and many of them are similar like seeing a light of unconditional love, total acceptance and forgiveness that most interpret to be God.

Many people make the mistake of looking at God through the eyes of religion that is nothing more than man made rules. Jesus was anti religious and pissed off the Jewish leadership of the time and was killed for it. Today religion is the same way, I guarantee if Jesus walked into most churches now he wouldn't even be recognized and be persecuted again by the same hypocrites who claim to worship him.

Here's a link to a NDE website http://www.near-death.com/

18. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

God is fundamentally anthropomorphic. In the Christian Bible and elsewhere He is simply an uber-human: he considers things, He wants things, He communicates, He expresses emotions and feelings like compassion, jealousy, hate, pity, regret, anger, fury, ire, wrath and rage. Philosophical contradictions-in-terms like "omniscience" fail the moment you seriously think about what it means to really know everything. An omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent being must be immutable. Life is change: to be immutable is to be dead.

The result is a God that is a) as far as anyone knows, not omnipotent, omniscient, or omnipresent, and b) does not have knowledge of future human actions. On these grounds it is perfectly reasonable to take the side of Satan in the war between good and evil because one should stand a chance of winning.

If God transcends logic then He is perfectly capable of bringing about two contradictory scenarios simultaneously. He could create a world in which human beings are completely free to act as they will, and at the same time completely controlled to do the good. However, God has not brought about any such scenario. The only conclusion is that He is either fundamentally evil, or does not transcend logic.

19. nolonger

Personally, I'd call him no "God" if he can feel only what humans can. What's the point in that? If I wanted to worship something insane and has 'humanely-handicapped' as God is, I would go and kiss the feet of that naked guy that was running around the CBD.

20. NoMoneyToPlease

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.