God is so complicated

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by seithkein, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seithkein

seithkein Well-Known Member

This only applies to people who believe in god or some sort of being that created us:

I sometime ask myself that if god really cared than maybe he would make my depression go away and then I say that maybe he doesn't care or THAT MAYBE THERE'S ISN'T A GOD. And then I say that maybe if he cared he wouldn't let little children starve to death in third world countries. So I'm asking what is you point of this issue, and do you believe there is a god.

GOD IS SO COMPLICATED.

2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I don't think it's that God is complicated, but that we view Him through a worldly perspective, which is inherently VERY limited. The Bible essentially tells us that we shouldn't concentrate on the things of this Earth but on Heaven. If we think of things from the perspective of what helps our individual and collective souls to develop, then human suffering begins to take on some meaning.

3. laurenelizabeth09leb

laurenelizabeth09leb Well-Known Member

:arms:

I know how you feel... sometimes i think the same exact thing

4. Nocturnal Ponderer

Nocturnal Ponderer Well-Known Member

You're viewing god, and judging his doctrines from a human viewpoint and human logic. As humans, we are flawed as a species, victims of our own advanced intelligence.

Remember, what seems bad to you, is actually good to somebody else.

It is man who governs himself, so therefore the child starving in the third world is a result of man's ineptitude.

God gave us free will, so therefore anything bad that happens as a result of that is man's fault.

There are two possibilities, both with equal weight to the argument. 1) There is a god, 2) There is not a god.

If there is, do not even begin to understand him using your human, weak, conditioned and subjective logic. It is futile. Who says he cares? A scientist which cultivates bacteria gives them a petri dish to live in. He doesn't care, nor can he communicate with the bacteria. He merely gives them a platform to live on and watches the outcome with his own agenda and own amusement. Perhaps god cannot communicate with us on any level, despite what the schizophrenic and egotistical con-man, Jesus Christ, told us!

Or, consider this. You're walking down a beach. You find an old wind up watch. It is still ticking. Now, the watchmaker could well have been dead for years. The watch is a self supporting and perpetual device. As is the universe. Could it not be possibe that god is dead? Having set his device in motion, there is simply no need for him anymore. The big bang may have killed him!

Or, there may never have been a god and all of this is just a matehematical probability which, considering the expanse, age and complexity of the universe is bound to happen somewhere with all of the infinite possibilities.

Who knows? But since the dawn of time man has been pondering that very question, and, it has not been answered. Only theories have sprung up and they have been invented by people who had some desperate fear or insecurity inside of them and needed the comfort of something, anything, to help them through. Whatever our greatest fear, there is an irrational, man made, comforting antidote to quell it.

To answer the question, after a disaster "How could god let this happen?"
    Well, again, this is asked through human eyes, with human standards, human logic, with human brains.
    I must point out, everything needs polarity to work. Everything needs a positive and negative and science proves this time and time again. The world is afterall a scientific instrument and so therefore needs polarity. Bad is needed to validate good. Earth is a working planet, people get in the way of Volcanos, earthquakes and tsunamis. If god protected everybody from such disasters, he might just give himself away don't you think? It would seem a little uncanny, dont you think? People might unlock the mystery, dont you think?

I understand the existential crisis, and it is so overwhelming. However, bear with it, and try to accept the notion that maybe, just maybe we are alone and this is meaningless. If you can accept that, life just gets that bit richer, and you can relax. Trust me.

5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I love this :smile:

6. ghosty11

ghosty11 Guest

God may be in sky but that is a possible lie everything we do see hear is a queer in the bag of dominoz pizza kitchen i love it give me a job a worthwhile job hope it works zabba dabba flintstones.

7. Esmeralda

You're all overcomplicating it. That's what humans do I suppose, myself included. I have the idea that once we die and all is elucidated, we will laugh and laugh at what a big deal we made out of this whole thing.

8. ghosty11

ghosty11 Guest

great theology anastasia but nothng compared to wiki look on it nothing more than a mere mission of mythological proportions.

9. fromthatshow

I have a feeling there is a lot of laughter in the afterlife.

Like waking up from a strange or intense dream, and just cracking up because wow, you go so invested for nothing. You were so scared but for no reason :smile:

10. GaiaMischief

GaiaMischief Well-Known Member

I like to think there is no afterlife and it's just eternal nothingness. It motivates me to try to enjoy what I have now, because it's all I'm ever going to have.

The concept oddly really helps when I'm triggering. Makes me realize the times when I just want things to get better rather than to throw it away.

11. fromthatshow

different things work for different people
    if it helps, stick with it, despite what other people say.

12. Esmeralda

My thoughts exactly :) We're gonna wake up and realize that 90% of what we thought was so important is no more meaningful than that dream where you show up to school naked.

13. Esmeralda

Well, either way, most of this crap doesn't really have any more significance than that which we apply to it, no? The other 10% might actually mean something.

14. GaiaMischief

I really hope that when I die something like that is there to pleasantly surprise me. But I'm not expecting it.

You look at people suffering from extreme schizophrenia, people who have become vegetables as a result of a serious accident...what do they feel? What do they think? It makes you realize that the human mind is your "soul" and your identity. If it becomes crippled or destroyed, so is the person that inhabited it. Even if there was some sort of existence after death...in my mind you wouldn't have your identity or your memories.

I actually think the most likely thing that could happen besides "eternal nothingness" is just starting life over at some random point in the future as some other type of life in another type of existence without no recollection of who you were before. So the cycle goes on. But it's far more likely that this is our only shot. A human is someone who was incredibly lucky to be given life as a member of the most powerful species on Earth in a time where life expectancy is long enough that you can live a fulfilling life, as opposed to life as some kind of microorganism with a life span of half a second. And that's all one organism will ever have, one life, whatever they were given. That's the way I look at it.

Though I guess that is getting way too philosophical/negative for this thread...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2008
  15. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I have to beleive our native americans had it right. They beleive everyting is alive. That the great spirit decides what life has instore for us. That is like when they kill something they thank him for giving his life to keep others sustained. They only take what is needed. You never know what life you will come back as. So you are suppose to make desisions that will affect your next life. That is what I beleive in. Crazy? by whos standards? (ha) made you stop and think didn't I...:chopper:

16. ghosty11

ghosty11 Guest

You allude to karma. Buddhism.

17. GaiaMischief

Very believable actually, as I alluded to earlier. It's far more convincing than the idea that we'll retain our identity and memories to a Utopian afterlife. Instead of new life being created for every new organism, the ones who died start anew as a new life form.

18. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

If there really where an omnipotent, beneficent God this forum would have no purpose.

19. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I beleive in the great spirit,
    I don't think witch ever way you lean, that the great spirit is envolved in human suffering. Man will be the downfall of the world. We suffer from power struggles and greed. We have forgotten our humanity. If you follow the bible we are on the road to self destruction. Hurricanes, tornados, famine, tsunamies, floods, fires, melting of the polar ice caps, and others.
    Man has brought this on. We also suffer from wars, murders, rapes, total self destruction. Hell every day there is someone else who has been shot!
    I don't know of any fast answers to stop what we are doing. I fear we have already put it into motion. Sorry I got a little long on my post...:chopper:...

20. fromthatshow

No one here said God is omnipotent. I personally don't believe in God as an external being, but if you do, you might consider that he/she might not be omnipotent. And did you mean benevolent? Or do I just not know what beneficent means :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.