God should solve global warming.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Ziggy, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Now I know this sounds like a joke thread. But if I was God, I'd love this planet. I'd love the trees and the birds and the polar bears. And if humans are destroying it all then I'd kill the humans. How can God care so little about this world that He's created?
    (PS. I'm not interested in debating the existence of God, so please don't)
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009
  2. Ziggy

Oh and don't even go down the free will route. If I took my kids to a museum I wouldn't say "It's ok if they smash the exhibitions or deface the paintings, they've got free will!". I'd make sure they behaved themselves.
  3. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

Because if he exists he hates the human race. I don't blame him.
  4. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

Maybe this is a test. Maybe God wants to see if we can evolve to a new level as a species, become genuine caretakers of this planet. A lot of people are doing wonderful things when it comes to the environment, the media tends to focus on the worst doomsday scenerios in climate change, and dont get me wrong, if you believe the science as it stands now, its a pretty scary scenario, but there is so much more to consider. I'd like to see a greater emphasis on questions about population, conservation, and creating an economic system that works for positive environmental outcomes rather than against them. You wont get a lasting, sustainable economy or biosphere until you change the fundamental economic systems in place. We need to ask questions about growth, about consumer culture and the throw away society. Should it be illegal to make TV's with a 12 month warranty for example? From what I can tell, a lot of people in the environmental sector are focused on creating environmental solutions alongside an economic model that runs counter to everything they are trying to achieve. Fix that and your 3/4 of the way there. Fortunately, there are now so many people driving a quiet revolution, I honestly believe its possible.

Dont get down about it, be a part of positive change, and make an impact.
  5. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

maybe god just loves the primordial organisms that thrive in our doomsday environment. or maybe he just really hates polar bears.
  6. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

Well, apparently he caused a flood for 41 days to kill all sinners (hence it's been debunked by practically all historians) when back then there was hardly anything wrong with the world. So I guess if he can solve shit back then when nothing's really wrong I guess he can now when we're on the verge of extinction, right?

I guess not. God damnit.
  7. Lyse

Lyse Guest

Humans aren't causing global warming; increased activity in the sun is. Maybe god is an evil sun god.
  8. Ziggy

I've no reason to think the following quote isn't true though...

9. Lyse

Lyse Guest

What I really meant to say was that the significant, problematic, possibly apocalyptic increase of Earth's temperature isn't caused by humans.

Don't ask me to show proof, I'm not interested enough to want to bother. It'll come to light in the future.

Not that deforestation isn't bad. It's extremely bad. Just not the cause of the significant increase in temperature.
  10. xan

xan Chat Buddy

I think if he exists he's either doesn't care, hates us, is asleep or dead...
  11. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I think we need to take into account the fact that we have only been charting weather patterns for just over 100 years and allow for the possibility of cyclical weather patterns. It's easy to say that the average temperature of the planet has increased 2 degrees over the past 100 years and then extrapolate that over the next millenium or so and really freak everybody out, but that's not good science and something a 4th-grader could come up with. We need to gain a better understanding of the climate and how it works before we go around screaming that the sky is falling.
  12. Ziggy

It's not about whether humans are doomed or not. I could say well thousands of species go extinct but it doesn't affect us humans, so why worry? We may get off scott free and laughing, but that doesn't change the point that we are the ones that should become extinct.

Having said that I came to think that maybe there's lots of planets out there a bit like Earth. Ice planets full of polar bears, jungle planets full of rainforests. So if we all die, then so be it, I guess it doesn't really matter. Nothing will have really changed.
  13. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

in my opinion, i think that god is just an asshole who wants us to make fools out of ourselves cause we're all fighting about the reason to global warming. its really stupid, and it's not a test. god is dumb, the end.
  14. Ziggy

What also pisses me off is that in the bible if you commit adultery you should be stoned to death, if you have gay sex you burn in hell forever, and if you wipe out thousands of species of animals and destroy the planet, oh, erm... hey it seems that's ok! Still who are we to question the mind of God?
  15. Esmeralda

Stoning was the punishment for adultery in the Old Testament. In the New Testament, Jesus says "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Forgiveness over punishment.

Also, the Bible does not say that gay sex results in eternal hellfire, the Westboro Baptist Church does. Big difference.

And we are being punished for destroying the planet. It's a self-inflicted punishment. Biblically speaking, God gave Adam stewardship over the planet as well as the living creatures upon it. We of course have the option of being disobedient, but only to our own detriment. If we destroy the planet, we destroy ourselves.
  16. Lyse

Lyse Guest

What "we"? If, for instance, a few GMO companies like Monsanto spread their genetically modified, poisonous and gene altering crops over the whole world, so that there is nothing left to eat for anyone, is that everyone's fault?
  17. Esmeralda

Well, we all have to live together on this planet, so it is our collective responsibility to police each other, to try to make sure that there are laws in place and "green" alternatives to polluting the planet, of which I personally think we are doing a fairly good job considering the fact that the environmental movement is still relatively young in relation to the span of human history.

Some people are more culpable than others, certainly, but unless we all work together to protect the planet and its species, we all suffer. The human race is essentially a brotherhood, and perhaps it would be nice to live in a vacuum in which nothing anyone else does affects the others, but that is simply not the case. There is no room here for isolationism. People need to work together and take responsibility for the stewardship of the planet or we're all screwed.
  18. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Agree with xan, except you left out one option: he/she/it is a prick. But since the idea of an invisible force more powerful than us, pulling strings, that was made up by Neanderthals who thought they could pick the stars out of the sky with their hands. Then, boom....science comes along to explain everything. You can't start a debate about why would god do this or that and say you don't want to discuss whether it exists or not!
  19. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

But then you'd have to extend that to all of their actions, to the point where they could never be allowed make a mistake. You wouldn't have children anymore, just docile sheep.

If your kids made a mess would you clean it up yourself or make them clean it?
    Human beings are perfectly capable of fixing their own mistakes and learning from them in the process. If a deity stepped in and solved all our problems for us, how would we ever grow?
  20. Lyse

Lyse Guest

That line of thinking fits well in with the way it works in North Korea, where a whole neighbourhood is tortured and killed if one person breaks the policies, plus that person's family and relatives (in this case, however, to filter out "criminal genes").
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.