God

Status
Not open for further replies.

fromthatshow

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
The word I'm sure brings up different emotions in a lot of people here. Being that this is a suicideforum... I'm guessing mostly negative. There are so many times I've felt abandoned by God... or how could there be a God with so much suffering? Why would he allow us to suffer?

But...

I have been feeling less suicidal over the past couple of weeks. And I think it is because I have been trying to bring God into my life more. Meditate more. I spend a lot of my time alone, and I tell myself, "Wherever I am, God is with me," and it comforts me.

I've been reading the Bible, Alcoholics Anonymous, Buddhist texts, all spiritual texts. With an open mind, I have really been comforted by these stories. And when my faith is low, I can see that it has helped these people, and if it has helped them, why can it not help me?

So anyway, praying has helped me and made me feel less alone. Keep an open mind, and it may be a way for previous atheists/agnostics to find some comfort. I know I was an atheist for a long time.

all my love :heart:

shades

Staff Alumni
I've said this before, but here's another post about it, so I'll say it again. If it helps you, that's great...stick with it. But then you tell atheists and agnostics to keep an open mind. Most of us in that group have an open mind...we just choose not to believe in something for which there is no proof, but which was rammed down our thoats in early childhood. So I kind of feel like WE are the ones with the open mind.

As for myself, I believe in the sun. Based on past experience, you can be pretty sure it's coming up in the morning, it creates warmth and supports life and if you pray to it...you get about the same results as if you were to pray to a god.

I hope you continue to be well, whether you continue to believe or not!!

fromthatshow

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
There is proof. It's just from where you choose to gather your evidence!
But either way, praying to or sitting out in the sun can be just as beneficial. Whatever works for you man! Do it :hug:

Wasn't trying to convert anyone, just saying what works for me. Sorry if it came off like that I didn't want it to.

:heart:

I was a Christian a few years ago, but I found too many flaws in those considered to be "holy" and decided for myself that if someone could abuse someone else for the sake of their empty religious pride, I wanted nothing to do with God.

I've kept an open mind about religion, but I don't find it easy to join one. People kill other people for their religion, and there are too many extremists out there for me to feel comfortable in any religion.

I may change my mind though.

Zurkhardo

We each have our own path to explain life and give meaning to the universe. So long as it makes us fulfilled and is not placed upon others arrogantly, I say to each their own.

I'm happy you've found meaning and I appreciate your well-intentioned sentiment :) Keep getting better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00