God

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Brighid Moon, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

Why do we all seem to pray to [fill in the diety here] to die, just like we pray for everything else (peace, the pain to go away, health, happiness, etc.) when nothing seems to ever happen from it? I still do it, pray to die, every day, knowing that there is no god up there who gives a rat's ass if I live or die, how much pain I'm in, or what happens to me. I have yet to figure out why I even still believe in any diety at all, or if I really do or not. But I certainly know that praying for 37/44 years for death, and going through everything I've been through, that if there is a diety, he/she/it/whatever obviously doesn't give a rat's ass about me. Pretty much like everything else. So I don't get why I (we!) continue trying when this much is so plainly obvious. Is it some kind of inborn thing? Human nature? Training? Habit? So stupid.

2. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

I think it comes from infancy. As babies we can't do ANYTHING. We can't even feed ourselves. We need the attention of adults. We can't communicate except by crying. So we cry and hope the adults around will hear and take care of whatever need we have at the time. The adult becomes a god like being to us because he/she takes care of those needs. As we grow we still have that urge for a god like being to hear us and take care of our needs. Sadly he doesn't.

3. shades

shades Staff Alumni

If it was pumped into your head from say age 4-5 to your teens (formative years) that there is a god to pray to, I think it's hard to get rid of it.

I got the choice whether to contiune with religious studies or not at age 13 and chose against it. My grandfather who was a big influence on my life thought it was a bunch of B.S. So, I never really pray for anything but I do wish very hard and hope (which is just slightly less ridiculous, but doesn't involve an invisible man) that the people I meet hear will not suffer so much.

4. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I'm the same, i still pray even though none of my prayers have ever come true. I think that we just keep hoping that there is something bigger than us out there that will, eventually, if we pray hard enough, answer our prayers .

5. plates

plates Well-Known Member

when i want to die i don't find myself asking anyone to let me die except something inside of myself which is my own will to survive and love of being alive when i'm not suffering.

6. depleted_soul

depleted_soul Well-Known Member

I don't bother to pray anymore. After years of praying with none of them being answered, I have stopped believing there could be any God who doesn't answer prayers and can just watch as millions of people suffer through life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.