Gods of All (not 100% this won't trigger)

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Prof.Bruttenholm, Feb 9, 2011.

Do you believe in (a) God(s)?

Poll closed Jun 9, 2011.
  1. Yes!

2 vote(s)
  2. Yes, but only the one true God, Jesus.

1 vote(s)
  3. Yes, but not ultra-religiously.

2 vote(s)
  4. No.

8 vote(s)
  5. Yes, but not the sameway everyone else does.

2 vote(s)
  6. Yes, but not an Islamic/Judeo-Christian,Monotheistic God.

2 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prof.Bruttenholm

Prof.Bruttenholm Well-Known Member

Alright, so I am back.

So now I have a point to make and a question to ask.

I think it's possible to believe in the Old Gods, like the Norse and Roman, even if those societies are dead. Why is it socially accepted to believe in a Magic Zombie (Jesus; because he rose from the dead where by he is a zombie and used magic or supernatural powers to do stuff) or believe in one all knowing and all powerful god, but not alright to believe in gods of past cultures and societies?

I raise this question, does it actually say in the bible that the Gods of old weren't truly gods? The Judeo-Christian God (Yahweh) demands that humans worship no god before they worship him, but that does not stipulate that Odin, Aphrodite, Zeus, Tia-mat, Khali or Qestacotal were not in fact gods.

Follow up question, no Judeo-Christian God believer has been able to answer this question, how does Lucifer become stronger? I mean, Lucifer isn't chained in Hell, that is a myth, the bible says he can walk on both earth and in heaven, so he knows how things are going to turn out, so he must think he can beat God, but he was already cast out, so logic says that Lucifer would want more power, so where is he getting it from?
  2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I believe in more than one god. I'm Wiccan sooooo.... yeah.
  3. Prof.Bruttenholm

Not much for my questions, but none the less, glad for your input and open minded ways.

Care to talk further on it? Elaborate?
  4. ZombiePringle

I'm open to questions. I'm not that great at actually going into details but I'm more than okay with answering questions.
  5. Prof.Bruttenholm

So am I, that is why I posted some :)

That is my humor, simple and dumb, see?
  6. ZombiePringle

Now this might be slightly off topic but... I read this in a Tom Robbins Novel.

it was something along the lines of.. Why would god be jealous of other gods if they didn't exist?

Now i know I didn't fully get it right as to what he said but its the basic idea.. which I think is a valid point.
  7. Prof.Bruttenholm

Yeah that makes the most sense and corresponds to my point.

Why did god even bring up the matter of "No gods before him", why not say, "all other gods are fake and I am the only real god".
    Instead he is the 'true' god, which only means he believes he is the only god that is right for everyone.
    What if I like worshiping a true god of love, like Aphrodite?
  8. ZombiePringle

Very valid point. In every organized religion there is valid reasoning behind why their specific god is the "real god" So who is to say that they are all right? or that they are all wrong? Everybody will follow what they believe. really thats where the term Coexist really comes into this.
  9. Prof.Bruttenholm

Problem is, the true Christian ways of life, are in the ten commandments.
    Love they Neighbor
    Thou Shalt not kill
    Honor thy father and mother

But to radical Christians these things mean...
    Hate anyone different and tell them God hates them
    Kill...that's it...

Radicals of any religion ruin how calm, intelligent people of the belief are viewed.

Side note: Buddhism was never meant to be a religion, that is why it is possible to be both a Buddhist and follow any religion.
    Buddha or rather Siddhartha Gautama said the following "I am not the first Buddha, nor will I be the last", he also said he didn't want his teachings to become a religion because he "is not a god and should not be worshiped as one" but people (not anyone in general, just a collective group) are idiots so they said "Hey, let's make this into a religion".
    However, I've been to Japan, the Christian population is below 5% and it is such a peaceful place.
    The people are patient, kind, respectful, considered with the environment.
    I need to live in Japan.
  10. ZombiePringle

That does seem to be the problem with most religions nowadays... intolerance for other religions and beliefs other than their own.
  11. Prof.Bruttenholm

It would seem there are always those who wish to use faith as a weapon, be it Islamic extremists or Power hungry Catholics.
  12. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

They're just scared of the things they don't know. :tongue:, which is funny....lol

Wouldn't say I really believe in a God. For varying reasons.

It's better to not believe in a God, and not be disappointed when you realise that 'it' doesn't exist. Than to believe in God and be disappointed when you realise 'it' doesn't exist.

Of course, we don't know what's after death. For all we know we as soon as we drop dead we hear a voice going, "Hey man! How's it goin'? Well it looks like you're dead now! I've be watching you all along :)".

In saying that, what happens after death should have no 'in-direct' affect on those that are still living.

PS - Japan looks pretty cool....I just know barely any Japanese :laugh:
  13. xToxThexGravex

xToxThexGravex Well-Known Member

I worship the war-goddess Anat. 'Nuff said
  14. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I really like the OP's post. He has honestly asked questions many people have. My study is in the Christian Bible and I can answer many questions of "what the Bible says", I'm not well versed in the rules of logic or debate so I rarely participate in these discussions with my personal opinions.

Jer 2:11 "Hath a nation changed [their] gods, which [are] yet no gods? but my people have changed their glory for [that which] doth not profit."

The book of Jeremiah are words spoken by God to the nation of Israel and details what God thinks about "gods."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.