God's plan for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theedda

I really hope this question doesn't violate any forum rules, I do not think it would based on my understanding of them, but if the mods feel that it does, then I do sincerely apologise. It is not my intention to start a religious debate or to criticise any religion.

I suppose I should start by saying I am an atheist. I was raised religious, but I left religion at around seventeen. That said, I've always been the type of atheist who wanted to believe in something. I do believe that the universe (and beyond) are so beyond our comprehension, even scientifically, that whose to say there isn't more out there. Maybe some would go so far as to call me a deist. I don't really care about labels personally, to be honest.

So lately, I've been thinking of God a lot. My mom, who is religious and doesn't know of my disbelief, has always told me that God has a plan for me. Many religious people would claim God has a plan for everyone. I'd like to believe that. I'd like to believe the things I've gone through have meant something. Indeed, some of the difficulties I've suffered have led to greater good in my life, people I wouldn't have otherwise met, experiences I might have missed out on, and, they have made me wiser about many things. Yet, at the same time, I see people suffering who never get a chance. I see people go through more pain than they can handle. I feel as if God, if he existed, either abandoned them, or saw fit to let them go through pain for some greater plan or greater good. Or perhaps he simply doesn't care much for us, small lifeforms on an average planet, in one universe out of possibly many... I'm sorry if that notion offends anyone, I genuinely do not wish that, but, I just fear what if I'm just one of those people, you know? What if none of what I've gone through will mean much, not even on a personal level? For all I've learned, my life doesn't seem to be getting any better for it in the end, in fact, I see everything I cared about collapsing around me right now.

I guess, what I'm trying to ask is, is there a way to cope with these feelings? Does anyone have any answers, or any understanding of these questions? Again, I'm not asking this for debate purposes, I just genuinely wish to know if there's a way to fight this feeling.

I see that you would rather believe than
disbelieve.

Don't think you are alone. I was on the same boat as you. Believe me. It's hard but do not loose hope. I'm telling you truly from my heart, please don't loose hope because I did. No one knew and my mother was a firm believer. I understand where you are coming from.

Do you think that there could be creator? Or are you 100% sure that there is nothing out there? If you want, i'll give you evidences which leads to God.

Kira

•✮• SF Gelfling •✮•
SF Creative
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I really hope this question doesn't violate any forum rules, I do not think it would based on my understanding of them, but if the mods feel that it does, then I do sincerely apologise. It is not my intention to start a religious debate or to criticise any religion.
Hey @theedda :) I just wanted to let you know that you aren't breaking any rules at all! You are asking a question based on your personal life experiences and being respectful as to not offend anyone. I hope you can find some answers that you are looking for. Take care - Kira

Ineluki

The Storm King
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
"There lives more faith in honest doubt, believe me, than in half the creeds." Alfred Lord Tennyson.

It takes a lot of courage to go through life trying to figure out for ourselves what is right, Theedda. I think I owe it myself to listen to everyone of every faith, and those with none, and look on all that as a source of incredible knowledge. That collected wisdom is the closest thing I have to a god right now I suppose.

Hi theedda. i can relate to what you've been talking about cause i've been there. i used to have a lot of questions about it. But first we must clear our perspective about GOD(there's many names to it) that its not some sort of identity or physical form.( a man sitting on heavens) it is something inside us :). Only by experiencing you can know what is it. Im not the best person to clarify about it but i can give preferences to help you with this journey. if you have questions about anything try searching for Sadhguru, Eckhart Tolle or Mooji. Very inspiring.

I guess, what I'm trying to ask is, is there a way to cope with these feelings?
I guess one approach is to try to make the best you can out of life, whether there's a god or not.

If you can follow of path through life that you believe in whether God exists or not, maybe that can make you happy whether God exists or not.

What if none of what I've gone through will mean much, not even on a personal level?
It could be that imagining that you are going to get some compensation from the universe for all the hardships you've suffered could help you. And if imagining that it is true makes you happy, then in a sense, it is true.

Since you shared your experience with me, I would like to share my experience with you. My dad died when I was 6 years old. My mom left me for her 2nd husband when I was 7. I was raised by my grandparents who didn't really want to spend time with me. I was lost and alone at a young age. I was raised in a legalistic church which allowed me to hear about God. I got married when I was 21. I had hoped for a great mother-in-law, but she didn't like me. She said I wasn't good enough for her son. My husband, trying to please both his mom and me, would push me away when I was most vulnerable. I thought God had abandoned me. I say all of that to let you know that I know the struggle is real and hard and can last for long periods of time. One thing I got out of church was Jeremiah 29:11-14a which you have referred to. "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the LORD."I held on to this for years not knowing how they would apply to my life. Life was still hard. It wasn't until years later that I could look back and see God's hand in even those hard places. And sadly, some will not seek Him. I don't believe God abandons us, but we as humans give up on Him. I think maybe God is seeking your attention so He can show you Himself. For God to change the way I see things, I had to get into the Bible and read what He says about Himself and about me. He has become my comfort and strength and hope. I am changed because He revealed Himself to me when I sought Him out. If you would like I can share with you what I have learned from different studies-Moses, Revelation, John, and Romans. It was specific to my very real needs. Praying you find the comfort and hope you are seeking.

I suppose I should start by saying I am an atheist. I was raised religious, but I left religion at around seventeen. That said, I've always been the type of atheist who wanted to believe in something. I do believe that the universe (and beyond) are so beyond our comprehension, even scientifically, that whose to say there isn't more out there. Maybe some would go so far as to call me a deist. I don't really care about labels personally, to be honest.

So lately, I've been thinking of God a lot. My mom, who is religious and doesn't know of my disbelief, has always told me that God has a plan for me. Many religious people would claim God has a plan for everyone. I'd like to believe that. I'd like to believe the things I've gone through have meant something. Indeed, some of the difficulties I've suffered have led to greater good in my life, people I wouldn't have otherwise met, experiences I might have missed out on, and, they have made me wiser about many things. Yet, at the same time, I see people suffering who never get a chance. I see people go through more pain than they can handle. I feel as if God, if he existed, either abandoned them, or saw fit to let them go through pain for some greater plan or greater good. Or perhaps he simply doesn't care much for us, small lifeforms on an average planet, in one universe out of possibly many... I'm sorry if that notion offends anyone, I genuinely do not wish that, but, I just fear what if I'm just one of those people, you know? What if none of what I've gone through will mean much, not even on a personal level? For all I've learned, my life doesn't seem to be getting any better for it in the end, in fact, I see everything I cared about collapsing around me right now.

I guess, what I'm trying to ask is, is there a way to cope with these feelings? Does anyone have any answers, or any understanding of these questions? Again, I'm not asking this for debate purposes, I just genuinely wish to know if there's a way to fight this feeling.
Since you asked the question, I hope this doesn't violate anything as well :)

The whole "God has a plan" is true...to a point. God guides and directs things, but allows for free will. When we face difficulties, we can allow those difficulties to destroy us or build us (i.e., make us bitter or better). God doesn't force us to respond a certain way, but He will use it either way...always seeking to let us choose Him.

From a personal belief point, I am a "born-again Christian"...just to give you perspective. However, as a technologist of more than a couple of decades, I am quite prone to study a matter out. I have studied the Bible for years and have become convinced of it's authenticity. Believing God was the first step on my road...

...anyway, the Bible commands us to study it and also tells us to "come let us reason together"...God will show, but first you must believe and read seeking with that belief. That being said, it doesn't take mountains of faith (only the tiniest part)...He will use whatever you have...99% doubt & 1% faith, etc.

Does God have a plan for you? Yes. However, His perfect plan requires you following His path...He allows us to jump the fence and get into the weeds.

I hope none of this offended, as I have been cited recently for mentioning the name of Jesus Christ...my purpose was to answer your question in specificity.

theedda

Since you asked the question, I hope this doesn't violate anything as well :)

The whole "God has a plan" is true...to a point. God guides and directs things, but allows for free will. When we face difficulties, we can allow those difficulties to destroy us or build us (i.e., make us bitter or better). God doesn't force us to respond a certain way, but He will use it either way...always seeking to let us choose Him.

From a personal belief point, I am a "born-again Christian"...just to give you perspective. However, as a technologist of more than a couple of decades, I am quite prone to study a matter out. I have studied the Bible for years and have become convinced of it's authenticity. Believing God was the first step on my road...

...anyway, the Bible commands us to study it and also tells us to "come let us reason together"...God will show, but first you must believe and read seeking with that belief. That being said, it doesn't take mountains of faith (only the tiniest part)...He will use whatever you have...99% doubt & 1% faith, etc.

Does God have a plan for you? Yes. However, His perfect plan requires you following His path...He allows us to jump the fence and get into the weeds.

I hope none of this offended, as I have been cited recently for mentioning the name of Jesus Christ...my purpose was to answer your question in specificity.
Thanks for your answer, I do appreciate every different perspective.

Maybe you are right about difficulties destroying or building us. Truthfully, there's two or three events I look back on that were just... too much. Mistakes I made that I really wish I could take back, and that may have caused some damage that could never heal. But most? I'm... different than most people. Maybe that sounds egotistical, or maybe some people would say "everyone is unique", but I do feel it, something about the experiences I've gone through, matured me beyond my years in some ways, kept me back in others. Gave me a unique perspective. Something I wouldn't have if not for the trouble and suffering I went through. And so, maybe it did all happen for a reason. Certainly, I feel that way enough that I could accept that.

Since making this thread, I've become more accepting of the idea of god, to the extent that I wouldn't call myself an atheist anymore. But I still... don't know how I feel about it all. I have a hard time agreeing with a lot of the Bible, the "New Age" stuff doesn't speak to me at all. No religion really does. I like some ideas of paganism, but the ancient beliefs are clearly (at least in my mind, I'm sorry if this offends anyone) somewhat outdated, and the modern versions just seem like a romanticisation of it. If there is a God, I hope he gives me some clarity on that, since I can't really see the truth myself.

Thanks for your answer, I do appreciate every different perspective.

Maybe you are right about difficulties destroying or building us. Truthfully, there's two or three events I look back on that were just... too much. Mistakes I made that I really wish I could take back, and that may have caused some damage that could never heal. But most? I'm... different than most people. Maybe that sounds egotistical, or maybe some people would say "everyone is unique", but I do feel it, something about the experiences I've gone through, matured me beyond my years in some ways, kept me back in others. Gave me a unique perspective. Something I wouldn't have if not for the trouble and suffering I went through. And so, maybe it did all happen for a reason. Certainly, I feel that way enough that I could accept that.

Since making this thread, I've become more accepting of the idea of god, to the extent that I wouldn't call myself an atheist anymore. But I still... don't know how I feel about it all. I have a hard time agreeing with a lot of the Bible, the "New Age" stuff doesn't speak to me at all. No religion really does. I like some ideas of paganism, but the ancient beliefs are clearly (at least in my mind, I'm sorry if this offends anyone) somewhat outdated, and the modern versions just seem like a romanticisation of it. If there is a God, I hope he gives me some clarity on that, since I can't really see the truth myself.
Events don't define us, but our reaction to events...we can "allow" events to define us by our reaction.

For the agnostic leaning, and just answering your thread...I would urge you to follow the following steps. Some people seek the truth, but not fully...their heart isn't committed to finding the truth...so, when I say below "if you are seeking truth", I don't mean that as an offense...only posing the question...are you willing to get answers you don't like or even agree with...are you willing to accept a truth that defies you?

If you are seeking truth, real truth, honestly (within)...I would recommend this:
1. Pray to "God that created the universe" and ask Him to show you the truth, to reveal Himself to you.
2. Open up an Authorized King James Bible and read the books of "St. John" & "Romans"
- Read these with an open heart for the truth
- While reading, continue asking "God that created the universe" to show you the truth
3. After you are done, pray to this same "God that created the universe" and ask Him to help you understand...
4. Sit back and meditate on what you've read and wait, prayerfully.

Below are links to the Bible. I hope you find clarity, I will be praying for it for you. I also hope I am not offending.

Book of John:
www dot kingjamesbibleonline dot org/John-Chapter-1/

Book of Romans
www dot kingjamesbibleonline dot org/Romans-Chapter-1/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00