Going back to school after a suicide attempt?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by The Depressed Puppy, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Depressed Puppy

The Depressed Puppy Well-Known Member

Ok... So I am still in High School. If I were to attempt suicide, & failed... What would happen? I know I'd probably be sent to a Psych Ward.

But after that, when I had to go back to school- What would happen? Who would be notified of my suicide attempt? How would teachers react?

Lets say people DID know I attempt suicide, Then what would they do?

2. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I think it all depends on where you live. If you live in the US you would likely get inpatient psychiatric help. I do not know if school is informed. I think they would have to be. Because arrangement would have to be made while you are absent.

I have heard so many people say that they did permanant damage to their body when they attempted. Either to their liver or brain or other parts of their body. And the results of that made life even more difficult

Are you seriously thinking about attempting?

3. tiggersafire

tiggersafire Well-Known Member

My school had to know.. They couldn't say anything when I got back. Confidentiality.

4. The Depressed Puppy

The Depressed Puppy Well-Known Member

I'm in HS, & I am from the US.

& Yes, I'm seriously thinking of attempting suicide, hopefully it would be sucessful.

5. Mopedimus

Mopedimus New Member

Under HIPAA, I don't think they are allowed to tell them anything other than to provide a note that you were under care of a doctor and to excuse you from days missed.

As for the aftermath of a failure, the requirements depend on the state. California for instance mandates a 72 hour inpatient treatment.

Now while there is confidentiality, that doesn't mean that student rumors won't start. In any social setting, specially high school, it's quite likely that word will spread and you will have people from all spectrums interested, whether it is to offer help, sympathy, sarcasm, or anger. It will make surviving difficult, but if you survive a suicide attempt then you can certainly survive that.

My thoughts are with you.

Moped

6. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I hope you can reach out for help to a school counselor. Because I have heard too many stories of people who survived a suicide attempt and had to deal with permenant damage to their body.
    Please keep posting at suicide forum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.