1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

going back to therapy

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by beautifuloblivion, Apr 9, 2007.

1. beautifuloblivion

beautifuloblivion Well-Known Member

My depression has been getting worse lately, and I know I need help. I've always been afraid of trying medication because of the possible negative side effects. I'm especially afraid of the stories I've heard about anti-depressants increasing suicidal feelings. :sad: But I was in therapy for a while, and I think it helped a lot, so I thought maybe it's time to try going back.

I stopped seeing my therapist about a year ago when I moved to a new city, and finding someone here will be difficult for a couple of reasons. Before I moved, I was attending a college with an on-campus health services center, which meant that I could see someone relatively cheaply and completely confidentially. The school I'm at now doesn't have any such services, and I can't afford to go to someone on my own. I don't know if health insurance may cover something like this, but even if it does, I'm still a student so my insurance is through my mom. I can't tell her how I've been feeling...I know it would break her heart. I tried telling her once, but I didn't even have a clue how to start. She has enough other things to deal with, I can't put her through this.

Does anyone know if there's any way I can find someone who might work with me financially? Also, I really have no idea how to go about looking for someone in the first place...when I went to Campus Health, I had little or no choice about who I saw, and I got EXTREMELY lucky that the person I got sent to was a really great guy who helped me a lot.

I would appreciate any suggestions. :hug:

2. Lady E

Lady E Well-Known Member

Getting a referral from your regular doctor is a first step and sometimes they know off hand assistance programs or even therapists who will work on a sliding scale or based on your income. Usually with most places you need a referral.
    Well also maybe if you have to go through your own insurance just be frank with her and say something like "Im dealing with a lot of stress and my doctor thinks it would be best if I talked to someone".
    I'm really glad you are trying to get some help (and goodluck) :hug: