Going through conversations in your head.

Anyone else go through a full conversation with your therapist, or doctor in your head then when your acutally talking to that person the right things arn't said so you don't bring up what you wanted to bring up? I do this a lot, and my convos never go the way I wanted even if I start, so I usually don't get what I wanted out. Guess I get nervous, so I kinda shut down or something.

Tam

Yeah, all the time lol. I now make notes, write out things I want to say, points I want to make, just to make sure because sure as hell I'll forget everything once I get in there. Have you tried that?

cownes

i do exactly the same, and i even have multipule convos so to try and cover more than one answer so i am more than likely to tell them then, i would never tell them something important without having this conversation before hand in my head, its like my comfort blanket in a way :hug:

Sidewalk Slam

I'm going to go see one for the first time willingly/by choice, and I shut down too (when I've tried to talk to family and friends). I'm glad I read this because I wouldn't have thought to make notes (even though it's not rocket science). I'll try doing that the first time to get it going from the start.

Bambi

After a few visits I started making notes of things/issues I wanted to discuss. I figured it is my money I want to get the most out of it. The therapist said he liked it because it helped him to see what I felt was important and what was troubling me the most between our appointments. I would just jot done a word or short sentence and I recommend it highly. Good luck with it all.

downunder

Yep I also take notes in and make a list, I used to hide my list, but don't anymore. I don't even care if the topics aren't even related. Sometimes I just talk over the top of her, and change the subject. Sometimes she might expand on something I already know or am not interested so I will brush her off, like "yeah, ok" then I will launch into the next topic. She actually said she likes that. I think it gives them a break, because they don't have to think of anything to say, as you are running the show.

I also take in pictures, and show her things on my ipod such as videos, newspaper clippings etc. She says I am very entertaining.

bluegrey

Antiquities Friend
I also take in pictures, and show her things on my ipod such as videos, newspaper clippings etc. She says I am very entertaining.
Ha, ha I bring in all kinds of things too! I sometimes write out a few general sentences on a sheet of paper so I can remember important subjects to address.

TBear

Antiquities Friend
I keep a journal that I address to him so that I don't totally blank out. It also helps to relate things I would NEVER be able to actually say....

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00