going to a psychiatrist is such a waste of time

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by bleach, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

If you cant open up to anyone, what good is therapy supposed to do? I spend most of every session just staring at the wall, not able to say anything. Thoughts cross my mind but I cant say them aloud because Im terrified that someone will know how pathetic I really am. So I talk rarely and lie when I do. Ive had people tell me that therapy is not uncomfortable or embarressing, and I will feel better just talking to someone and making progress... lies! Ive been going for months now and nothing changes. I feel worse now then when I started, because my problems are the same and they feel more hopeless than ever. Im terrified to even mention the fact that Ive been having suicidal urges, Ill probably get thrown in a mental hospital or something. Has ANYONE here had any success after going to therapy? Does it make any difference at all? Am I doing something wrong here?

Really this is just a reflection of all my larger problems... I cant open up to anyone, I have no confidence in myself, I dont trust anyone... but how am I supposed to be open with someone to get help when part of my problem is being open with other people? What good does therapy do in that situation? The whole thing feels like a fucking sham and a waste.

2. fojerbachas

fojerbachas Active Member

well...i studiet psychology AND...well, nothing. you talk talk...bla bla bla...and nothink. how do u know what that person thinks? how CAN you know anything?.. well, basicly we`re all just fucked up a little bit...SORRY

3. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

First, tell the psi or therapist what you wrote here. "how am I supposed to be open with someone to get help when part of my problem is being open with other people? "

he or she might suggest you to start by writing.... so he-she can read what you cant yet verbalize.

if you are not up to telling what you wrote here, write it down, put in in an envelop, close it and hand it next time you go.

like this you are wasting time and money. try different options offered or ask that person for options since how things are going you arent getting anything out of it.

if he-she doesn't realize its a nowhere therapy, better put the cards on the table.

just a thought

4. masashin

masashin Guest

True, it doesn't really help BUT like tony soprano says many times :" it's like taking a dumb". That's the only thing good about it, you pay someone to be a friend who actually listens (well a good psy anywayz)..not like some of my (fake?) friends who keep bitching about their problems and don't have any time/ real advice for mine:mellow:

I've stopped going after 5-6 years orso though, i couldn't afford it anymore..and well in the longterm it didn't help that much:dry:

I think therapy is good for some and not for others..so you can't judge it before giving it a chance:smile:

5. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

It also depends on the relation that you establish with the person. As we cant befriend to all, not all can befriend to us. Same goes for psi.

If one doesn't fit, try another one. They arent all the same. You might tune with one and not with the 3 before. Problem is that to try them till you find the 'right' one it might take some time and make a hole in your pocket. Some only need to be listen to (actively specially) others dont like listeners alone, but rather go for communication involvement as well in therapy.

Different methods .... each must find the right pair of shoes to fit their feet (mind in this case.... so figure of speech ok)

6. simonl

simonl Member

i think talk therapy can sometimes hurt when you know you'll need a long time to properly find the right combo of meds for you. i say meds first, then intensive talk therapy. it sure screwed me up a lot, trying to deal w/ issues while waiting for meds to find me. its tough.

7. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

i can only agree with you simon. in most cases the right meds or combo of meds are necessary before venturing in any type of talk therapy. hope you are feeling better now..... and found the right combo.

wishing you to continue and pursue your healing process.

be welll and safe

8. ace

ace Well-Known Member

It is very difficult of course first of all the Psychiatrist or Psychologist really doesn't know exactly how you feel despite them doing all that studying.Next of all opening up is another thing in itself,I do understand telling someone exactly how you're feeling is alway's a hard thing to do in fear of what they will think of you.But you have to feel comfortable with your Therapist especially in order to try and establish some sort of connection.

9. Nessarose

Nessarose Well-Known Member

I have the same trouble. I saw a new therapist today, and basically just gave her a list of my "delusions," anxiety trouble, and briefly depression. I see a psychiatrist for medication tomorrow, but I might have to see the therapist again. She was incredibly sweet, understanding, and sympathetic, but I felt so awkward. I don't know how I can tell her all these things that go on in my mind and how I feel. It's hard to talk to people. Maybe you could write down some things?

I just get really embarrassed and afraid they're going to lock me up. I got lucky, though. The therapist I saw was probably the one I'd feel most comfortable with, if anyone, knock on wood. I guess it takes a significant amount of time to trust someone.

Before my other psychiatrist retired, she would ask me some things, and I would just blank and sit there. She was nice, too, but it's so hard to talk to people. I used to think it would be nice to spill my guts to someone, but in practice, it's much more difficult.

As others have suggested, maybe you should try a new doctor. If you've been with this one for three months and s/he hasn't helped, you probably need a different doctor. Make sure you're comfortable with the gender, too; for me, it's easier to talk to a woman. If you're male, you might prefer talking to a man. Depends on your personality and such.

I hope therapy works out better for you soon. I recommend sticking with it, and if you have medications, be sure to take them (my mom gets pissed because I don't and she often has to make me). But they help.

10. Kayetan

Kayetan Active Member

I never liked the idea of a therapist or psychiatrist. As an introvert, I never tell anyone anything. One person though, the wisest and smartest I know, made some suggestions. First off, he is only 18, but is a recognized genius. I met him in 10th grade(3 yrs. ago), he had been studying psychology, physiology, sociology, and other such things. After one lunch period with him, he was able to tell me everything about myself, without me saying anything I thought was revealing. I always hide how I feel, and usually act to make people leave me alone, he saw through this. He broke down my character by my voice inflection, the way I ate, the way I sat, walked, and other obscure things. I hadn't told him anything, and he already saw that I had been suicidal for some time. He is the only person I trust, because I can't hide anything from him to begin with. He's not the most supporting person though. He was only interested in the study of humans, not in solving the problems. I rarley see him any more because of college, but he did make suggestions to me that alleviate some pain(I didn't ask for help, as always, he just knew). Start an internet blog, or livejournal, and paste the link in a profile online. You don't have to respond to anything, but just having your feelings written out, knowing someone who doesn't know you might read it, sometimes helps. He also suggested starting a real journal, and turning that in by mail to a therapist. You wont have to face anyone, and it's easier to do. I have a livejournal, and I plan on starting a real journal. I still feel terrible, and almost daily I feel I can't go on, but just knowing someone knows makes me hold on for awhile, usually long enough to take my mind off of life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.