Going to a psychiatrist soon..

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Hdhsjsjsz, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hdhsjsjsz

Hdhsjsjsz Well-Known Member

what should i expect? it's my first time and im kinda scared

2. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

they will ask u quite a few questions, but this is just to get an idea about you, try to be as open and honest as you can, and remember they only want to help you :hug:

3. abcd

abcd Active Member

the first visit conversation is usually more generalized. they just want to get to know you and know the basic reason you are seeking help.

My biggest piece of advice is don't give up on therapy if you don't end up liking this doctor. Not everyone is a good match and you just have to keep trying until you find one you work well with.

4. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

Exactly - don't give up because you don't get along with one psych. for one reason or another. You WILL find someone who can help you if you keep looking, so don't give up!

And yes, expect questions. Possibly a lot of them.

5. chrs75

chrs75 Well-Known Member

I would advise trying to write down how you're feeling, or your thoughts about particular issues that you may have, before the session. This can sometimes makes it easier to describe how your feeling.

6. dnE ehT

dnE ehT Well-Known Member

The first time they usually ask you some basic questions, then they try to get to know you.

If you don't like the therapist, or it's not working, you should either see another one, or try different things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.