Going To My GP For Woundcare?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by x BrokenBabydoll x, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x BrokenBabydoll x

x BrokenBabydoll x Well-Known Member

So, I see to the majority of my SH injuries at home, but my last GP was amazing, she knew I wasn't going to give up SH until I was completely ready, so she was perfectly fine with me seeing her for stitches, advice on a wound that looked bad etc without trying to force me too seek help or lecturing me endlessly.

But I moved to a completely new area a few months ago, and so a new GP, who only found out I was still self-harming last week after i'd (accidentally) injured my back and she saw a self-inflicted burn. She told me too come back in a few weeks if I keep SH'ing to reconsider a CMHT referral, but didn't tell me to book an appointment, or say I could come back just for woundcare.

I have major anxiety issues about wasting peoples time and becoming a burden and a waste of time, partly the reason i've been a member here for so long but tend to lurk! So, if I need a wound seeing to, how can I let her know that all I want is for her to stitch me up minus the lectures and a CMHT referral? Also, have any of you guys had a similar situation and if so how did your GP/Family Doctor respond? I'm so worried about wasting her time, and her thinking i'm a lost cause who shouldn't be wasting such valuable time :(

2. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I dunno... there's no easy answer to a question like that. I suppose the 'easiest' thing to do is just tell her straight, but it probably won't go down too well. I suppose if you ever need to go see her just go do it and sit through the lecture and say 'i'll consider a referral' but just don't book it and dont go? And then if you have to go back again just explain that it's nothing against her but you're not ready to stop yet? It doesnt work too well on people like parents and friends, etc, but if she has any degree of professionalism she should be able to understand that. My old counsellor and teacher both understood, but then again I have had teachers completely snub me, too. -shrug-

I havent been to a GP in years though, so I can't help you much with that, sorry!

TDM

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

why not consider the referral and get some help to stop the sh just hope you stay safe hugs

4. x BrokenBabydoll x

Thanks guys, @thedeafmusician, yeah I may well try that one! @total eclipse, I did accept a referral to CMHT last year but never went to the appointment and cancelled the rest of them because things got bad for my family, my mum had just been diagnosed with a serious degenerative disease, and because I was only 17 & living at home it would have been really hard to see CMHT without her knowing and I just didn't want to hurt her anymore or my younger sister. My mum's even worse now and needs me a lot, I just don't think she could handle me being ill again right now :( I'm okay-ish safety wise at the mo, but new tools arrived today that i'd ordered online from a medical supplier so it's really tempting having them right there x

5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Your mom would want you to go to therapy to heal as a mom i know that hugs

6. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

I take it you know there is only so much time that a wound can be left open before it needs to be stitched or the risk of infection increases and they shouldn't close it.

Have you tried going to a NHS Direct Walk in Centre. They are usually quite good there and will patch you up no questions. But really, you should be getting the help and being referred.

In a way your last GP was neglectful as he/she didn't ensure you got the help you needed.

It may be time to have that referral made again.

x

7. x BrokenBabydoll x

Yeah, most places near me won't close a wound after 6 hours. NHS walk-in centres are amazing, but i've just moved to a really rural area, only choice around here is my GP :(

I do want to get help, but for people around me now isn't a good time for me too be ill, my mum is physically very ill, my sister is having a lot of problems at school, my stepfather is verbally abusive and has been physically abusive towards me, and I only live a few streets away from them so I can't ignore it, i'm round there every day cooking and cleaning because my mum can't do anything, her diagnosis is possibly terminal so noone could cope with anymore illness physical or mental at the moment, and i'm pretty stable, haven't attempted SUI for months now and my mood is okay as long as I use SH when I start to feel bad.

I will get help eventually, just not yet :/

Thanks guys for your answers and concern :) xx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.