Going to see my GP tomorrow.. how to explain

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by tykata, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tykata

tykata Member

I posted in the Depression forums recently but I feel here is a more apt place to post the continuation of my story so to speak.

I'm 17 with Severe Clinical Depression (possibly type II bipolar still being looked into) and a Social Anxiety Disorder. My depression has only lasted a small amount of time in comparison to most people here (diagnosed in january) but seems like forever. After trying numerous medications and relatively high doses my GP has failed to provide any sort of imporvement to my condition. Not sure about in other places but where I am in the UK it takes months in between to get an appointment with my therapist and the CBT waiting list is very long.

Since January I went from an A* grade student across the board down to B's and C's in the end after spending Jan-May when exams started off school. September I entered college but the combination of the depression and S.A caused my attendance to drop so low I've been kicked out.

This is a catalist I guess to my ongoing Suicidal thoughts which have been constant for months. Now i'm socially isolated and dont leave the house I have alot of time to think about suicide, all day every day. Plus i've been recently told to withdraw from all my meds by the therapist as they are not helping. Now because of the lack of drowsy inducing tablets I find it impossible to sleep which means i'm awake, thinking, searching the internet for suicide,suicide plans, suicide notes, suicide methods.

My GP knows i've thought about it but now I want to tell him exactly how bad its become, sorry for the wall of text .
  2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hiya, Tykata. :hug:

I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a rough time. I'm really glad you'll be seeing your GP. Anti-depressants seem to be hit-or-miss and it can take a lot of time and trials with different ones before the doc and patient find the right drug, or combination of drugs, that works best.

From your thread's title, I gather you're not sure how to explain to your GP how serious your suicidal feelings are. I think it's easiest and best to be very honest and straightforward. If he/she asks more questions, answer them as completely as you can. It will help the GP get you the most appropriate help.

I hope it goes all right. If you can, post and let us know how things work out. I'll be thinking of you.

3. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Tell your therapist exactly how it is for you. The therapist needs to know what the problem is before it can be addressed. It is not unusual for people to try different medications before finding the one that works for them, and even then it may be a matter of dosage.

Keep posting here, it'll help you through the process.

4. tykata

tykata Member

Well turns out my GP is fully booked till this time next week so will have some time to think about what i'm going to say. I'm between therapists atm as the one i've saw twice has referred me to someone who can administer CBT and says I wont deal with him again.Plus in the UK because im not 18 I have to see a child pdoc and this one in particullar I found to be particullarly condesending.

Sorry took so long to reply since I came off tablets instead of sleeping 10pm-7am its become more like 2am-11am.
  5. Chargette

The system makes us wait, but keep posting here in the meantime. How long until you are 18?
  6. tykata

tykata Member

10 months :/ . My GP prescribes me meds as if I was 18 as he says by all medical standards i'm an adult but the system for therapy is set in stone even though I feel i'd be more receptive to someone used to dealing with adults.
  7. Chargette

I recommend staying in the system so you "keep your place in line." It may feel corney, but at least it's a way to check in until you can go to therapy for the 18 and over crowd.

In the meantime, please keep posting here.

8. tykata

tykata Member

I also have a worry that the CBT wont work.

A. because I believe it wont work
    B. becuase i've studied psychology in college and my own time pretty extensively and i'm aware of the process of administering CBT therefore I will be less susceptible to it?

My last therapist says there's no other direction to go in medically for me thats why i've been withdrawn from meds so i'm afraid if therapy doesnt work theres no where else to turn. - Although i've yet to be prescribed a non-reversible MAOI, only the less effective reversibles. It seems like they've given up on me.

I've only tried 2 SSRI's 1 TCA and 1 reversible MAOI for my depression
  9. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You said your afraid therapy won't work because you will be less susceptible to it because of your knowledge of it. It will work even psychologist take this treatment and they are trained in it they know how it works too. I take this treatment and i have knowlege of what is happening but my psychologist is very
    smart tricky should we say and before you know it he has accomplished what he set out to do. The CBT will work you have not been on the receiving end of it i have and boy does it work. If it works on doctors psychiatrist and other professionals it will work for you. Let your therapist know you have knowledge when you get one then he or she will work with that as well. Get all you can from child psychologist as they can be very valuable as well get all help you can so when you reach 18 you will still be in the system. I am sorry about your schooling but you are young so young and still have time to go back and get the training you need and you will be a better person then because you will have experianced first hand everything you will perhaps learn later on. Take care
  10. tykata

tykata Member

Thanks for all the advice, feel abit better may leave the house today get a well deserved Starbucks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.