Going to the cinema alone

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Petal, Sep 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am thinking of going to the cinema alone and while it would not bother me, I could imagine people thinking, look at the freak or what a loser or loner! Does anyone else here go to the cinema alone? I might go one day next week on my own as there's a movie out I wanna see. Is there a stigma attached to people going to the movies alone? If so, why?!
  2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Aww, you wouldn't be a freak or weirdo or anything for going alone. They would be focused on the movie, not on you. I haven't gone by myself but I fear doing things on my own most times. If I was more confident, I would do it too. Go and enjoy watching movies and try to not worry about anything else :)
  3. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

I always go to the cinema alone. And don't give a second thought to what others think. Just go and enjoy the movie. And I bet you will not be the only there who has gone alone.
  4. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Petal, firstly you are not a freak or loner. Going to the cinema alone is nothing to be worried. You going to the cinema to see a film in the dark. No one is going to judge you about this. Enjoy the experience and go often as it will help you increase your confidence. Take care as ever.
  5. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

I go to the movies alone and while I am uncomfortable because I am alone no one else cares. So go. I always feel better afterwards but yes, I feel weird as the only one by herself. You are not alone in that respect.
  6. mismad

mismad Active Member

My friend went to movie alone tonight. She said she need a refreshing,
    and she didn't bothered by the people who think bad about watching alone.
    I found it was awesome to do.
  7. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I have done it a few times and I have to admit I often do worry a bit too much what people think of me...

But sometimes it can just be 'necessary' for me in order to enjoy a film.

Last time I did it I had seen the film at a 'pre-premiere' with my best friend and it can get a bit distracting... she tends to comment the scenes which drives me mad (not her fault, she has several diagnoses that makes concentrating for too long impossible)... so without telling her I went to see the film alone at the actual premiere.
    I have a little problem with hearing ('luckily' the films here get texted but I HATE Danish translations as there's often too many mistakes so I usually ignore them... so I need quiet to fully enjoy the film). And this was a really important film to me.

Once I was all alone seeing a film, as in the only person in the cinema! The 'joke' is that I had even cosplayed since it was a premiere... That was actually a bit awkward... luckily I 'knew' the staff a bit as they were old friends of my mothers. But it was always weird when the staff had to go in to check if the film was still running okay.
    Probably a good thing I was alone watching that... I cracked up laughing during a very emotional scene because one actor couldn't act properly...

I hope you have fun if you do decide to go alone, go enjoy and treat yourself!
  8. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

I went to see Mockingjay by myself. To be honest, no one even looked at me. And really, most people aren't going to notice you and think negatively of you. Those that do are jerks, anyway. Going out by oneself is actually more common than most realize, I think. Sometimes, we all need some time out with ourselves.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.