Going to the docs

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by fooror, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fooror

fooror Well-Known Member

Hi
    So I have finally made an appointment with the doc, and am going to tell them about my problems.
    I'm loathed to actually mention any suicidal thoughts though, as I'm pretty sure that I don't really mean them, and I'm concerned that the doc will put it on my medical file for all to see, or maybe demand that I go to hospital or something.
    Is it best to not mention it, I guess is what I am asking?

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Its great you're going to go, well done :)

Ultimately whether you mention it or not is up to you. The more you tell them, the more they can truly help you because they will know where you are.

Many people suffer from and mention suicidal thoughts or ideation and maybe if you can explain that you have these thoughs but you don't mean them and don't intend to act on them then that would give them a very clear idea of where you are and how you are feeling at the moment.

It would go on your file, but not for 'all to see'. Who are you worried about knowing?

3. fooror

fooror Well-Known Member

That's a good idea about explaining it more fully, thanks.

Not sure why I'm worried about such a thing going on my medical file, I just fear that it would somehow come back to bite me one day. This is my main problem in life, I have irrational fears about everything.

4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

You're welcome :)

The only people who have access to your medical records are your doctor, nurse (etc), i.e. those in the medical profession who need to see it and people you choose to allow.

With regards to jobs and such in the future, there is a lot of scope there because they would refer you to occupational health if they had a concern and that would give you chance to talk about things from your point of view.

Its important to try to focus on the present and get the help you need now, and then when the future comes, just deal with it when it arises.

5. ema

ema Antiquities Friend

Actually, if you are in the US, I believe insurance can see your file. That can hurt you. I worry about that all the time. It's not fair, but...

In the end, though, it is better to be honest. The rules are that these things are private and can't be used against you. If you ever suspect they are, you can sue, sue, sue.

Good luck!

6. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Thanks for putting that piece of info in. I didn't even think about Insurance.

7. fooror

fooror Well-Known Member

Yes I got asked the same when applying for insurance recently (UK). Maybe that's what made me think about it.

8. fooror

fooror Well-Known Member

Well I've been. Was very lucky indeed, and spoke to a very nice lady gp.

Have been given a prescription for 75mg of Venlafaxine. No idea what that is, but it is supposed to help with depression and anxiety - willing to try anything at this stage, so hopefully it will help. :)

9. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Well done for going! You should be so proud of yourself. I'm also super glad that you met with a good doctor, that certainly makes it easier.

Venlafaxine is an SNRI Anti-depressant. I truly hope that it helps you :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.