Going to the doctor's

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by IamTetsuo, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IamTetsuo

IamTetsuo Well-Known Member

So, Ive made an appointment to see a doctor this friday and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to approach it and what to bring up and what kind of help I could expect to be offered. I saw one once before and after going though a pointless set of questions (it's the mood assessment thingy on the NHS website), he said "everyone feels down from time to time" and that i could get an appointment with the counsellor in 3 months - and that was that.

People always say that if you're in 'this' state that you should get help and see a doctor but when I saw one before he basically told me that he wasn't interested.

What should I say? What kind of help can I ask for if nothing is offered?

My situation:

Depressed since age 18, 32 now. About 3 years ago I had what matched the description of a nervous breakdown and stopped going to work, didn't contact anyone, didn't go out, didn't eat. Got back into the swing of things but felt more and more like I couldn't cope with everyday life and started to cut myself off from everything more regulary. Became more and more fixated on suicide as a way out and eventually started to self harm. I moved back to my Mum's house last year and regressed even more to the point where I was doing nothing at all, not talking to anyone or having any interest in anything, haven't worked all year and thought about suicide all day everyday. I genuinely thought I was going to kill myself and was just running my life down to a stop - but I'm still here and strangely enough I feel a little bit more positive. I still think I'll kill mysel at some point but it's on hold for the minute.

Also I've self diagnosed myself with Avoidant Personality Disorder and I think this is the root of everything really.

I'm thinking to ask for some kind of general check up and to test for any obvious deficiencies. some kind of talking therapy might be good too... Thing is I'm not the 'squeaky wheel' if you know what I mean.

Even though this topic is pretty stupid, what do you think?

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

It is not stupid at all. I would really recommend that you use your post (perhaps not sharing your self diagnosis until you see what they have to say and then mention it) and write down an outline or bullet points on what is going on with you and some type of time frame. This will make the appointment go much easier and without as much stress on you to remember everything on the spot.

The Doctor should order some basic tests to check for obvious physical or medical things like nutritional deficiencies and things of that sort just to rule out any biological causes and then set up some type of basic first try at a treatment plan. They can often at least help allieviate some of the problems with either meds or therapy they might recommend. Whatever they prescribe- ASK them their reason for prescribing and the expected benefit so you understand why they are prescribing it. They should also go over common side effects with you.

Be prepared for it all not to be fixed in a week - it has been several years building - that will not all be fixed in a week or a few days , but you can certainly get started now getting ready for the appointment by writing the issues down and approach the the appointment with an open mind to give yourself the best possible chance...... Good luck and feel proud of yourself for taking this step.
  3. IamTetsuo

IamTetsuo Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply. I will definitely get my ideas straight in my head before I go in. Trying to keep an open mind will be important too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.