Going to the doctor's

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by purplefizz, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purplefizz

    purplefizz Senior Member

    I am thinking about going to the doctors, likely tomorrow, for my depression and anxiety issues. They have been bad for a while. I can't function anymore. That probably sounds pathetic, I know. I have such an easy life anyways, but it seems so overwhelming. Some days I can't even be bothered to brush my teeth. I have come to the realization that I need to give help another try or I'm always going to feel this way.

    What should I expect? Last time I went to the doctor to talk about my symptoms, I was not totally honest because I was afraid he would tell my mom. I don't know how honest I should be, especially when he asks about suicidal thoughts. I don't know what he would do. I'm 17 years old and legally he can tell my mom anything, right? I'll be 18 in 2 months. I hate being so young. It's been my plan for a while to wait those 2 months, but I don't know if I can make it that long. I'd like to try therapy too, but right now maybe I just need medication. Would he even give me medication? He did last time, but that was with a therapist's reccomendation.

    Please help me out!
  2. fromthatshow

    fromthatshow Staff Alumni SF Supporter

    I think if it's that bad you should try being completely honest with your doctor. Can't be too much worse than being overwhelmed by anxiety/depression.
    I hope you find a therapist too. Therapy has helped me loads more than the medication.
    And you say you've had an easy life. Sometimes people think they shouldn't be depressed because their life seems good from the outside. But people can get depressed for different reasons, don't get down on yourself thinking you should or shouldn't be depressed. Fact is you are and there's help available whenever you're ready.
    much love :heart:
  3. abyss

    abyss Well-Known Member

    the help they give can only be as accurate as the information you give them. if you only tell them some of your problems/symptoms then they can only treat those. if you make light of the sevarity, they can't put you on high enough dosages. its really in your best interest to be honest.
  4. purplefizz

    purplefizz Senior Member

    Thanks you two. Does anyone know specifics, like if he can diagnose me, will he for sure give me medication? If not, I don't even care. I don't even feel like going right now because I may be beyond help :cry: I feel like he won't care and think I'm making things up. Just another lazy teenager who doesn't want to go to school. That's what my mom always tells me, and maybe it's the truth. I am just lazy. Well I am never going to school again if something doesn't change. I just feel like dying again, but I have to at least wait until after my Dad's birthday, so this may be a difficult week.
  5. Chernarus

    Chernarus Well-Known Member

    the worst that could happen is getting sent to a ward,be honest as posible so you can get cured.
  6. dazzle11215

    dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

    you doc might write a prescription, or he/she might refer you to a psychiatrist or mental health clinic where they can make a better diagnosis. don't be afraid to be honest, it's the only way that you will get the services you need. if you minimize something then they can't help you. if your doctor is not helpful, try another doctor. you are worth it.
  7. Stranger1

    Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

    I would suggest trying to get an appointment with a shrink. He will probably want you to be inpatient for a little while so they can start you on meds and get a better idea what is happening with you. Don't be afraid to go if that is what he reccomends. If anything it is rather boring. I go inpatient when I start backsliding. I have been in there 10 times. I recently got a new shrink (not by my choice) who automatically decided after one visit that I am schizzo. I told him I wasn't and he changed my meds anyhow and they made me hallucinate. I quit taking them right away. I just don't trust him like I did with my old shrink. I want her back but alas she retired. Anyhow you have to make your own decision. You will be 18 in two months. So you become a legal age. So why wait, all your parents can do is get pissed off.Oh well, they will get over it once it sinks in that you need help and have sought it out on your own.Good Luck!!~Joseph~
  8. gentlelady

    gentlelady Staff Alumni

    It is important that you are totally honest with your doctor. He may prescribe something mild to hold you over and suggest you see a pdoc. Unless they feel you are a danger to yourself or others, they won't necessarily tell your parents. You do have a say in your care. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you are uncertain about something. If they do put you on meds, make sure you are aware of the side effects.. Also inquire about how addictive the drug is and if withdrawal from it is difficult. Explore the options.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.