Gone: Job AND Identity..Poof!

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by fannin, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fannin

fannin Member

I need some advice. I'm quite literally alone; no family, no commitments. My job WAS my life for 29 years. It all came crashing down last week. I'm unattached and 62.

I can't see staying here. My former work friends are/were great, but seeing them reminds me of what I've lost. Is a clean break in a new city - completely new surroundings - less risky than reminders of the past every day?

Everything familiar now hurts.
  2. Michael Ayin

Michael Ayin Well-Known Member

I'm in a similar boat. I had a job I loved for ten years and would have stayed there as long as you had been at yours. I'm still seeking out a new job that made me feel they way I did there---my current one is soul-draining and it takes everything in order to just to keep it.
  3. fannin

fannin Member

What's the greater suicide risk: Sticking around for reminders of what I've lost in a familiar city I've lived in for 30 years, or uprooting to a distant place no one knows me?

I value any thoughts.
  4. empty101

empty101 Well-Known Member

You need to find as many new things as you can to add to your life. Eventually one or two of them will give you purpose to live.
  5. fannin

fannin Member

Wisdom and good vibes from Canada. Thanks.
  6. ozbound

ozbound Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Thats quiet a tough one I have to admit I would rather not have the reminders. But uprooting and moving to a new place take a lot of bottle for me anyway but that would be the one I would choose. Well that's what I would like to think I would do.
  7. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

Personally, I have a tendency to leave. If I had the funds available, I definitely would.
  8. I would also get up an go, if I had nothing/no responsibilities keeping me here.
  9. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

You can apply for early retirement and find a part time job to help money wise..If you have the finances I would move if it bothers you so bad when you come across excoworkers..Suicide is not the answer.. You can apply for medicare and it will help you pay for a therapist so you can sort out your thoughts..I wish you the best..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.