Good jobs for people with a record of drug abuse?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Anonymous2, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Well-Known Member

Good jobs for people with a record of drug abuse?

I've been in college for a while ... and while in college I was able to forget about my drug infested past (I haven't used any drugs in the past 9 years). However, I've graduated now. Even though I've moved on, my record has not. Specifically, I have a DUI and an other than honorable discharge from the military for drug use.

What are good jobs for college graduates with a record of drug abuse?

Where do you-all work?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

that should not be brought up in your interview and it should be kept confidential Many areas of social work actually want someone that has struggled in their lives and have beaten the odds and won hun you have done that so be proud of you ok hugs
  3. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

I think it should be brought up because jobs do background checks. It's always better to be honest than have them find out on their own. Sure, they may not hire you, but someone will eventually if you keep looking. I would say that I have a record but I've been clean for the past 9 years and turned my life around. Some people appreciate honesty a lot.
  4. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Addiction counselor.

I spent some time in outpatient rehab for drug and alcohol abuse, and they exclusively employed ex-addicts. Their belief was that only a recovering addict could understand what an addict was going through, recognize the signs of addiction and anticipate the manipulative behaviors of an addict.

I currently work in a shipping warehouse. I do have a history of drug and alcohol abuse, but nothing that would show up on a background check (no criminal record, and my stay in rehab was while I was a minor and is therefore confidential - supposed to be, anyway). There are some employers who will hire a person with a less than perfect past as long as you are honest about it and you haven't been in any recent trouble.
  5. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

You know now that I think about it, a lot of jobs only ask about those things in the past 7 years, from my experience.
  6. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input and advice everyone. Addiction counselor might be an OK job.

Hey! Guess what I discovered

California has something called the 7 year rule

California 7-Year Rule
    With few exceptions, [background check] agencies cannot provide employers with adverse information that is older than seven years. (Seven years is determined from the date of last activity.) Criminal cases that did not result in a conviction or were fully pardoned cannot be reported. (Criminal cases still in process can be reported.)

I think other states have similar rules ... check it out.

What this means is that a record of drug abuse can only be determined if they specifically ask about it on an application or interview. I think it is unlikely that any will ask on an interview. People cannot tell that I was an ex drug abuser so the question will probably not come up. In fact, I've told close acquaintances about my past and they are always shocked and refuse to believe that this is true because I seem so innocent, healthy, and inexperienced.

On a more negative note, I did discover that governmental organizations can do much more extensive, thorough background checks. They have no time limits and can potentially check both civilian and military records. They can also see more detailed records and smaller incidents such as infractions. So I don't think I'll be looking for a government job.
  7. Finance

Finance Well-Known Member

I own hog farms and don't have have answer to anyone.

Self employed now and forever.

LTANNER Member

I'm staying away from meth and man. I'm missing out a lot but it's def safe. shhhhhhhhh :tongue: I am staring a fresh fam for my aging parents. keeping our standards set and keeping what they've worked for alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I would have to agree with the suggestion of an addiction counsellor, you could go around to schools/colleges in your area and inform students of the risks and dangers of drug abuse. You have the experience. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.