Good metal and bad/mediocre metal

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by HawthornePassage, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawthornePassage

HawthornePassage Well-Known Member

Interesting thing I realized after taking a break from metal in general (mood change) for about two years...

When you listen to metal on a daily basis, the subtle differences you hear are not as great as you would otherwise. I think listening to a lot of experimental music has helped me greatly with picking out the subtleties in metal music. As a result, many of the more 'watered down' metal groups lack that 'kick' that I used to hear, while the talented artists shine through even more. For example, though we all know that new Dimmu Borgir is pretty bad as a whole, I could listen to it two years ago. Now it just sounds lame. Many other bands which seemed 'great' in this genre are decent at best. Though I will admit, I have trouble listening to extreme metal any more with my mellowed out state....when I do I like more avant-garde/varied type stuff. Favorite extreme metal artist as of late is Zyklon, but only the World ov Worms album. I regularly listen to a lot of sludge though...Boris, Pelican, Battle of Mice...etc

2. Landlocked blues

Landlocked blues Well-Known Member

i am the opposite. i used to listen to alot of slipknot, atreyu, marylin manson, SOAD when i was younger and depressed but then i seemed happier for a couple years and was listening to alot of pop ie lily allen, kelly clarkson and crap but now im back to the same old stuff again. its definitly the music i prefer but i jus couldnt listen to it a couple years ago!

3. HawthornePassage

I dont see how it is the opposite at all, I dont really listen to metal any more much, mostly experimental electronic

4. Landlocked blues

Landlocked blues Well-Known Member

just opposite cause now your more chilled out. im more stressed out!!! i never heard that kind of music. i shall check it out.

5. Shattered Soldier

Shattered Soldier Well-Known Member

The only good "newer" metal band that I've found to my liking is Lamb of God. Besides that, I've been sticking to my old staples for years: Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Morbid Angel, and Deicide. Its just a damned shame that none of these bands can seem to put out anything new that rivals any of their stuff from the '90's. If anybody has anything to suggest, I'm all ears.

6. HawthornePassage

skyfire, moonsorrow, apotheosis, ram-zet, mirrorthrone, etc

i think those bands, personally, are a lot more interesting than slayer anthrax etc....not that i hate them, its just that straightforward thrash stuff is too simple for my taste.

7. HawthornePassage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.