Good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Strategies for Success' started by Petal, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am starting an access course in september for fire and ambulance, from now 'til september I have nothing to do. If I rang pharmacies or called in and asked to volunteer my time would they think there's something fishy or give me a chance do you think? If that fails I will try retail shops solely for experience of working somewhere besides the volunteering I did in a charity shop in the past!

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

May be possible to find something like that but I suspect pharmacies would be quite controlled and have lot of rules. Might want to talk to local church and ask about ideas for charity or volunteering too, they may have some connections or ideas.

3. Dewonderland

Dewonderland Well-Known Member

Hey !

Okay, it might be my optimist partspeaking but I would say : give it a try, nothing to loose. You say honestly what it's the situation and they shouldn't think it's fishy. And then anyway, either they can/want or they'll find a nice way to tell you it's not possible. But no regret then ..

I would have say also you might ask the red cross. They usually look for volunteers (especially if you have a driving lessons I think ?) whaat do you think ?

4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

How about St John's ambulance?
    If they don't want volunteers there are courses that would suit.

5. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

How about volunteering at a veternarian clinic. I did that year ago. You would still get some exposure to the medical world.

6. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

St Johns Ambulance would be a very good bet if you have it in Ireland - you can actually get qualified as an ambulance technician volunteer with the SJA (or at least you used to be able to when I was a member). I volunteered for them for years and it is really very good experience and would stand you in excellent stead for getting on a paramedic course at the end of your access course if that is what you decide to do.

7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Have just had a look at the st.johns ambulance websites, i'd have to pay for each course (while i get them free in sept) to volunteer and do the training in dublin which is not really an option.My mom is against me doing this course in college but i've said ''mam i'm old enough let me do what I want to do and what I think I will be good at''. She does not think I am smart enough to become a paramedic, maybe i'm not we shall see. I have rang some pharmacies today, they were not taking on any kind of staff.

8. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

What about volunteering at a hospital?
    it will probably only be taking round a mobile library, or working in the canteen, but it will look good on a resume.

9. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I think you must have been looking at the first aid courses section of the SJA site. To actually volunteer/join is free and training comes with and all the cities will have a division. Google "Whereversville St Johns Ambulance" then click "Join us". I looked at the city near you and they have a division and an email address to contact for more info on joining. In my experience (albeit several years ago now) there is a weekly or fortnightly division meeting and you get training etc and once you pass your basic first aid (which is very easy - we had a mini cadet division called Badgers with 5 - 10 year olds and they all passed) you can go along to events etc and do first aid duty at events.

10. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi Petal, volunteering at your local hospital visiting patients. That would benefit you as well before starting the course.