Goodbye binge eating

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Yoyogirl86, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Yoyogirl86

Yoyogirl86 Well-Known Member

Hey All

I have some fantastic news to tell you :) I have finally told my parents about the binge eating/comfort eating in secret and i am finally on the road to stopping this issue. I am going to be speaking to my GP about it and other things as well and seeing if she can help me.

CDBiggen, Jenumbra and MisterBGone like this.
  2. Yoyogirl86

My doctor wasn't that helpful she was extremely dismissive like it was no big deal and we all do it from to time and didn't fully grasp that it was impacting on my life. She was very much like talkin to a brick wall

3. MisterBGone

MisterBGone Well-Known Member

That's odd & I'm sorry you had such a hard time. I always thought of it as a serious medical condition? Maybe you could try to explain it to her again, and if she still doesn't listen, someone else. I sometimes wonder if they play it cool because it is so normal to them to hear this sort of thing, or if they're not wanting to let us on to what they're really thinking. Either way, she clearly could have had an improper read on you. Also, maybe you'd be better off seeing someone who specializes in this area?

4. Yoyogirl86

I think what i am gonna do is pop down to my local surgery and at least get my weight checked first or ask my Pdoc for help when I next see her in a few months

5. MisterBGone

That sounds perfect... Maybe even see if you can see your pdoc a little sooner? (S)he'll know what to do!

6. Yoyogirl86

I don't know if that would be possible to her sooner as she's quite busy and the community mental team can get a bit hard getting through to

7. MisterBGone

Oh, okay- well, if you don't think that's going to work, maybe try explaining it in a different, more descriptive & telling way (you may have to give examples if you haven't already done so; as opposed to more general terms) to your GP or somebody?..I dunno! Just thinking a matter of months is a long time to suffer through something like this. Good luck :)

8. Yoyogirl86

I have tried every single option to explain to them

9. MisterBGone

I hate it when the medical professionals don't listen--isn't that a big part of their job? Can you see a nutritionist or a dietician (not even sure if that would help...) or something? I hope you find some relief!

10. Yoyogirl86

Then theres trying to my GP to refer me on to one and thats the problem and I cannot afford to go privately.

11. MisterBGone

Then I (& I say "I," because I'm not you!) would force the issue / push the envelope with my mental health team about getting an earlier appointment arranged--due in large part to-this separate & new (to them) issue. Of course, I am not you: which is perhaps why I can suggest such things...

12. Yoyogirl86

I will try tomorrow when I see my mental health nurse and tell about the binge eating issue as I cannot deal with it alone anymore. I am actually going to ask them if they can weigh me to see what's happening with my health and so that realise that I am not just comfort eating once in a blue mooon and thats it's actually something related to self harm.

13. Yoyogirl86

anyway I spoke to someone at the ment thealth team and she was really helpful and she gave me lots of tips and things to do keep my occupied to take my mind of the binge eating and I also told my mum about the headhitting and now thats a lot easier to talk to her

14. MisterBGone

Fantastic! That's terrific news..:) I'm so happy for you! Awesome work.:D